Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Focusing screen with nothing on it

I have K10d that is mostly a takumar shooter these days. KPS magnifier is more than enough for me to manual focus, so i've been using the original screen. I find the etchings annoying though and would like to replace it with one that doesn't have anything on it. Does anyone know if something like that exist?

And while we're on it, is it possible to disable metering on K10d / any pentax dslr? (so that there's no reading at all on the viewfinder) until I press the shutter. I've been simulating this by not pressing the shutter until I'm about to shoot, but that keeps me from using AF confirmation when I need it (more useful than shutter reading for me). It's always on Av mode anyway and I usually know roughly what the shutter speed will be. From a google search I figured that the Canon 1ds can do this... Any pointers?

Edit:
I just noticed that K7 has this screen http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Focusing-Screen-Digital-Camera/dp/B002DU4HMC/re...6482670&sr=1-7 Probably not compatible with the K10 though... Can the K-7 disable metering?

10-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
And while we're on it, is it possible to disable metering on K10d / any pentax dslr? (so that there's no reading at all on the viewfinder) until I press the shutter. I've been simulating this by not pressing the shutter until I'm about to shoot, but that keeps me from using AF confirmation when I need it (more useful than shutter reading for me). It's always on Av mode anyway and I usually know roughly what the shutter speed will be. From a google search I figured that the Canon 1ds can do this... Any pointers?
Sure, de-couple the AF from the shutter button, and use the AF button to focus, and use the shutter button to meter/shoot.
10-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I have K10d that is mostly a takumar shooter these days. KPS magnifier is more than enough for me to manual focus, so i've been using the original screen. I find the etchings annoying though and would like to replace it with one that doesn't have anything on it. Does anyone know if something like that exist?
Hi Andi,

Contact Rachel Katz at Katzeye Optics. If they don't show a plain focusing screen as a stock item, they can make you one that will fit your K10 for sure. It'll be the same price as their other models, so a little pricey, but it'll be a nice screen.

Scott
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave and Scott I'll definitely try it out

10-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Sure, de-couple the AF from the shutter button, and use the AF button to focus, and use the shutter button to meter/shoot.
I tried this just now, and unfortunately the AF button triggers meter as well. Oh well