Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The point I was making is that the GPS used for photo tagging is uselss for anything else,
Another false assumption. Well, I have no time to argue with clueless people.

Last edited by simico; 10-14-2010 at 04:07 AM.
10-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The point I was making is that the GPS used for photo tagging is uselss for anything else, and if people look beyond the initial application they will discover that the quick temporary solution is actually a bad investment.

If people are going to get one of these devices, they need to go into it wide open and assess that they will never - ever purchase another portable GPS.
That's a false assumption. For example, I frequently use the logs from my i-Blue to determine how far I hiked and what the elevation profile was. I've taken it on numerous hikes (or at least walks) where I didn't bring my camera and sometimes didn't bring my Garmin. (The Garmin, when hanging from my belt via the carabiner clip, has a significantly noiser track than the i-Blue on top of the backpack. It's really hard to keep the Garmin in an antenna-up orientation without actually holding it.)

Note that if the GPS doesn't have a consistently good antenna orientation (see above - I Velcro mine to the top of my backpack), such data will get skewed.

A GPS that is designed for hotshoe mounting or cabling to a camera DOES, however, become useless (or near-useless) for anything other than geotagging.
10-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simco. A specific to camera gps for geotaggong does not serve a lot of other uses compared to a general purpose gps. I dont see why you have to be rude about your response. If I am "ignorant" enlighten me not insult me

Entropy. I believe the issue with the gps hanging from your belt is that it is shaded by your body which is not transparent to the gps radio signal

I have a small pocket at the top of my camera pack that my gos resides in and have nonproblem. The "noise" as you put it is the difference in position as a function of which satellites are used and which are not. As you move about and turn, and as the gps swings on your belt it is constantly switching satellites.
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

My thing about having a GPS specifically for photos is that if I am actually using a GPS to get around, I don't want to use that GPS for something trivial like tracks. I know most people want a track to backtrack on, but I personally prefer to carry a map and really just want a GPS to tell me where I am when I need it. I can figure out the rest. A navagation GPS goes on for a couple of minutes and then off until needed again.

I understand what people are saying about dual use and in most cases that's pretty smart, but when I actually need a GPS instead of it being merely a convenience, I want to play it safe.

Thank you
Russell

10-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If you come up to NZ you want one that can receive the Glonass (Russian) signals too, the GPS satellites are often too far north or obscured to get a good fix.
10-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
My thing about having a GPS specifically for photos is that if I am actually using a GPS to get around, I don't want to use that GPS for something trivial like tracks. I know most people want a track to backtrack on, but I personally prefer to carry a map and really just want a GPS to tell me where I am when I need it. I can figure out the rest. A navagation GPS goes on for a couple of minutes and then off until needed again.

I understand what people are saying about dual use and in most cases that's pretty smart, but when I actually need a GPS instead of it being merely a convenience, I want to play it safe.

Thank you
Russell
You can use it for both. Keep a track going and spot check your coordinates as desired. Most GPS units are good on battery power.
10-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
Forum Member

There are a couple of devices out there. I use one by Gisteq and Sony makes one too. You just need to remember to turn it on. Carry in your bag and go. Most last 12 hours or more and you just need to hook it back up to your computer and sync the photo date time to the tracks recorded (usually the take a reading every 3 to 5 sec) there is free software for Mac and pc out there.

10-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You can use it for both. Keep a track going and spot check your coordinates as desired. Most GPS units are good on battery power.
You completely missed the point, or you've never been somewhere where your survival depends on your preparations, actions, skill, and luck.

Thank you
Russell
10-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
You completely missed the point, or you've never been somewhere where your survival depends on your preparations, actions, skill, and luck.

Thank you
Russell
Then please tell me what the point is.
10-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Simco. A specific to camera gps for geotaggong does not serve a lot of other uses compared to a general purpose gps. I dont see why you have to be rude about your response. If I am "ignorant" enlighten me not insult me

Entropy. I believe the issue with the gps hanging from your belt is that it is shaded by your body which is not transparent to the gps radio signal

I have a small pocket at the top of my camera pack that my gos resides in and have nonproblem. The "noise" as you put it is the difference in position as a function of which satellites are used and which are not. As you move about and turn, and as the gps swings on your belt it is constantly switching satellites.
It's a combination of body shielding and improper antenna orientation. Multipath increases when the antenna is not pointed upwards, SNR decreases, and there is now a bias towards picking up satellites in a specific direction. The first and third can cause significant bias in the position, the second doesn't help. Oh yeah, and a sideways-pointed antenna with body shielding is probably going to lose its WAAS lock too.

In your case you're using a pretty optimal configuration, if that pouch can keep the logger from turning upside down. Fabric is usually pretty transparent to RF, so your solution is going to be very close to mine (Logger velcroed to top of backpack on the outside) in performance.

That's why I am against the idea of cameras with built-in GPS or a port to connect to a GPS. The convenience gained (30 seconds to a minute per batch of photos is my average time to pull a track and geotag photos with it.) is completely offset by:
a) Having a non-optimal antenna orientation most of the time (hotshoe-mounted)
or b) Having my camera tied to a cable going to the top of my backpack (cable connection with GPS in optimal position)
10-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
In your case you're using a pretty optimal configuration, if that pouch can keep the logger from turning upside down. Fabric is usually pretty transparent to RF, so your solution is going to be very close to mine (Logger velcroed to top of backpack on the outside) in performance.
the pouch is just big enough to hold my GPS76CSx and orientation never changes. it is at the top of my lowepro microtrekker 200 backpack.

My other solution is to velcro it to one of the shoulder straps on my larger bags.