Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

wireless and corded shutter release solutions help

Hello Pentax world! This is my first post on this forum even though I've been a member for quite some time now.

I'm looking to purchase a corded or wireless shutter release for my k20 D but I don't have experiece in these products and I have a few unanswered questions. I'm assuming the wireless remote shutter release uses batteries and from what I'm reading in my research the receiver mounts in the hot shoe. I don't really like that the receiver mounts in the hot shoe in case I want to use the wireless shutter release with a flash that I want to mount in the hot shoe instead of the wireless receiver. If the corded shutter release uses the hot shoe I might as well get a wireless one anyway but if the corded shutter release doesn't then that would of course free up the flash shoe for a flash in the future and that would be what I'm looking for. Ideally I would want a remote shutter release option that can support both wired and wireless functionality but not be too expensive. The only thing I would want is a cord with a decent length and another thing I'm thinking about for the wireless solution is that the receiver will require some sort of batteries to operate.. if anyone can shed some light on this for me I would be SO appreciative..

10-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We may be mixing cats and dogs here. SHUTTER release receivers or corded solutions always (AFAIK) plug into the mini-jack on the left side of the camera. Remote FLASH transmitters mount in the hot shoe. I have both corded and wireless shutter release, just a cheapie import, but find I never use the corded anymore as the wireless works as well, allows me more mobility and no chance of disturbing the camera during shooting as is possible with the corded switch. But I still carry both.

Oh yeah...Welcome to the world of PF.com posting.

Last edited by imtheguy; 10-10-2010 at 05:10 AM.
10-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The wireless remotes that mount in the hot shoe do so only for convenience of use. They use the remote shutter port to actually activate the shutter and don't require the any communication with the pins on the hot shoe. You can thus remove them from the hot shoe and as long as you have another way to control their movement so that they don't become disconnected, will work fine.

Thank you
Russell
10-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use this unit. Both the transmitter and the receiver require internal battery (easy to find, however).

Russell is correct that the mount in the hot shoe is solely for convenience's sake. The receiver does not need to be mounted to anything. You just need to make sure that it is plugged in to the camera body.

The Yongnuo can also be used as a remote flash trigger. It is quite reliable.

10-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
thank you!

Thank you so much everyone for their replies!