Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Geotagging - Anyone use Garmin basecamp software

About 3-4 years ago I put a question to Garmin tech support asking if the had any means to geotag photos and display them on maps supplied by Garmin or for Garmin gps units

They responded no but it was an interesting idea and they would forward it to their development / marketing department

Sound familiar? Same type of comment you get when you put an idea into pentax , for example.

Today out of curiosity I did a search on Garmin.com for Geotagging and found a Garmin program basecamp that not only geotags jpegs but can place them as waypoints on your Garmin maps and also upload them to your hand held unit (not sure which models) so you have a photo of the waypoint you are searching for in your hand held

Just wondering if anyone has used it yet. I plan to download it to try. It is free and will associate with all Garmin installed maps on my PC

10-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried this and it seems like
A waste of time
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As I understande it, Basecamp is quite buggy and the only reason most people use it is because it's the only way to download BirdsEye imagery.

In my case, digiKam (I'm a Linux user) can generate some nice Google Earth KML with my geotagged images.
10-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Photomapper

Hi

I have several times geotagged my photos using my Garmin Nuvi with Photomapper - it basically uses the time base of your camera and the GPS and merges the GPS co-ordinates into your photos. It even allows you to correct the error of your camera time. Can then see the photos in GoogleEarth.

Freeware from C O P I K S - PhotoMapper

Not sure if this helps...

Tim

10-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to be clear

I use GeoSetter to do all the geotagging at present.

When I initiated my discussions with garmin, it was for one reason only. GeoSetter, and virtually all free geotagging programs require you to be hooked up to the internet, because they use either google maps or mapquest to plot the location.

This means you just can't do your geotagging any where, and this is where garmin should have come in. Garmin sells maps. In fact they sell lots of maps. Having these maps available on your PC at all times should make garmin a strong point in geotagging because there is no need to be on the internet. Unfortunately, the interface is downright terrible, and there are no controls to adjust for time clock error between camera and GPS. In fact, the real purpose seems to be so you can download a photo of the location to your hand held unit. Geotagging seems to be an after thought.

As I said earlier, for the purpose of geotagging it seems to be a complete waste of time compared to GeoSetter and I am sure other similar programs
10-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm. The location tags in the EXIF don't actually have any map data -- they're just coordinates. There shouldn't be any need to have an internet connection for that.
10-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hmmm. The location tags in the EXIF don't actually have any map data -- they're just coordinates. There shouldn't be any need to have an internet connection for that.
The point is if you wish to validate the geotag by seeing the location on a map you need to be connected. This is important so you don't screw up things like the time shift for Daylight Savin time, camera time error etc

10-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The point is if you wish to validate the geotag by seeing the location on a map you need to be connected. This is important so you don't screw up things like the time shift for Daylight Savin time, camera time error etc
Ah, I get it. So yeah, your suggestion would be helpful.

But failing that, you can save the trace files and re-do later if there turns out to be a mistake, right? I mean, better than nothing — no permanent harm or data-loss.

(Also, man, Daylight Saving Time — what a terrible idea. *sigh*)