Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Extra batteries for K-5: genuine Pentax or no-name brand?

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering what you all do for extra lithium battery packs for your DSLR's: Do you always buy genuine Pentax batteries, or just go for the cheap Ebay-style ones?

My previous experience was with a Panasonic superzoom. The genuine battery would last longer than both the Ebay Specials put together, especially when it came to heavy flash use. This is not necessarily a problem, just means swapping batteries more often (I got both the Ebay batteries for less than half what I would pay for one genuine battery).

So... are genuine Pentax batteries worth the $$$? What are other people's experiences with non-genuine batteries?

How many batteries do you own for your camera?

Are some non-genuine battery brands better than others?

Thanks for your help!!!

10-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, my experience of these things is that the OEM are in fact superior, but the cheapies give you maybe 80 percent for a lot less. So, I generally think they're a fair deal. They're a good way to have a spare, anyway. (What I generally do is keep the OEM in the body swap a couple of generics around, usually between each other in the grip of my k20d (which I've set to drain first,) which generally keeps me pretty topped off.

Between brands of generics, I think 'Power2000 ones' work quite well: I have a different one that I think may be less so, but they don't usually give you specific names when you order, anyway. Of course, they may all simply be less *consistent* than OEM.
10-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I've been using generics in my Pentax dSLRs since forever (in Pentax proprietary battery terms). No grip on the K10/20 cameras but on the K7, I do pretty much the same as RML. I'll typically fill the 8Gb card before I run out of power, even before the battery meter shows a drain. I Personally do not think the 'genuine' pentax branded batteries are worth the extra money. Look for the highest capacity (mAh) batteries you can find.

10-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought two Phottix batteries for the K10D here in the forum for about half price of one genuine Pentax battery and they seem to last about the same as the original. Whichever camera I upgrade to next, extra battery is most unlikely to be a Pentax brand.

Thanks,

10-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys, this is helpful.
10-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a "snob". Only non Pentax batteries that go in my K7 are Eneloop`s and Energizer Lithium`s.
That`s just me.
10-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I am a "snob". Only non Pentax batteries that go in my K7 are Eneloop`s and Energizer Lithium`s.
That`s just me.
*wink* I wouldn't say it's snobbery: OEM's are *better.* But the generics are actually usually a fair deal. Not as good, but a fair deal.