Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Extension tube recommendation for K-x

I want to do some close-up photography of tiny flowers with my K-x Red camera. I was first looking into e-bay for Pentax K extension tubes. They seem to be over priced for used products. Very few original Pentax extension tubes are coming up for sale there. In addition to it, you have to bid and win the auction. I decided to buy new set of extension tubes, reverse adapter and bellows from regular vendors such as BH Photo, Adorama or Amazon. I saw Photodiox brand extension tubes, but they are priced so low, that I am wondering whether they are of good quality.

Can some one please recommend good quality extension tubes, reverse adapter and bellows? These products should not damage the camera's K mount and screw threads. In the past I have had the bad experience of using cheap brand products damaging the camera. Thank you.

10-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd try to find some old teleconverters that have the 'A' contacts and remove the optics. You may need to paint the threads black or line the inside with self adhesive black felt or velvet to counteract internal flair/ghosting. That's what I did, and it works great for me. For that matter, if you don't care about 'A' functionality, you can go to KEH and buy Misc brand teleconverters for about $8 a piece and have a good set of extension tubs by doing the same as mentioned previoulsy. I don't own bellows but I hear that the Pentax Auto Bellows are good. Any revers adapter will do as long as it fits the threads on your lens. I always prefer to revers a lens in front of another lens instead of reversing directly to the body. That way I still get aperture control and if it's a zoom lens (attached to the body), the ability to get higher or lower magnification.
10-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Fotodiox extension tubes are ok. They are too simple to go bad.

That said, you might consider assembling a top end macro setup from the stand point of versatility based on the Nikon tilt/shift bellows, model PB-4. They sell on ebay for about $200.

To this you'd need to add a Nikon lens to Pentax camera adapter at the camera end ($28 for a no-glass version). Use a nikon lens at the end, adapt to a pentax lens, or probably as good as anything else, use an enlarger lens and m39-nikon adapter; an 80mm enlarger lens on the PB-4 will focus to infinity I'm told.

Dave
10-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the k-mount extension tubes, purchased from the forums and find them VERY useful for my macro work, just remember that you will need to shoot with a wide apeture and a whole lot of light.

And, don't forget prodigious use of the green button. Since you're most likely going to be shooting from a tripod and using long exposure, a good wired or wireless remote will be very helpful.