Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Why would you even CONSIDER the Lowepro Slingshot 100??

Go on Ebay, look at the "Buy it Now" prices, the Lowepro 200 goes for about 2-3 dollars more than the 100. Whats the point, with the prices so close like that why would anyone even consider the 100? Even if all you need is the smaller bag, with only a 2-3 dollar difference you are better off getting the 200 just in case you get more gear. Unless someone can show me where to get the 100 in the 35-40 dollar range instead of the 54-55 dollar range i'm gonna buy the 200. (but i would really like the smaller 100)

Even if you look at the "auction only" listings, the prices of the 100 start out at .99 cents and end up in the low 50 dollar ranges for a USED one. Why?

10-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not a big fan of used bags cos they often mold or stink. I'd rather buy less and buy better. The thing is if you want the smaller 100 for practical reason, why would you even consider the bigger 200? Carrying more than needed is no fun really.
10-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I am not a big fan of used bags cos they often mold or stink. I'd rather buy less and buy better. The thing is if you want the smaller 100 for practical reason, why would you even consider the bigger 200? Carrying more than needed is no fun really.

So you would pay the same amount as the big bag for the smaller 100? Why? Yes its smaller, but the 200 is the sane bag to buy. If you dont want to weigh yourself down, just put less gear into it, but if you NEED to carry more, you can.

If you're going on a long hike, and need to have the bag on your back all of the time, load it with the BARE ESSENTIALS. If you are going by car to take photos somewhere and wont be carrying the bag a lot, load it up with everything you could possibly need since you wont be carrying it a whole lot.

It just does not make sense to me to buy the smaller bag for ALMOST the same price as the bigger bag, since the bigger bag is more versatile.
10-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ok, Nevermind. I found about the 102 and 202. Almost the same exactly bag, but for a more reasonable price.

10-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought my 202 the same time my old man bought a 102, i needed the 202 because i carry more gear, my old man wanted the 102 because he likes to travel light.

The 102 isnt that small, my old man gets his K-x+da 18-55+70-300+fa50mmf/1.7 all in it nicely and has room probably for a another couple of small primes.

No point buying bigger than what you need otherwise your gear will move around to much if its too roomy.
10-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
So you would pay the same amount as the big bag for the smaller 100? Why? Yes its smaller, but the 200 is the sane bag to buy. If you dont want to weigh yourself down, just put less gear into it, but if you NEED to carry more, you can.

If you're going on a long hike, and need to have the bag on your back all of the time, load it with the BARE ESSENTIALS. If you are going by car to take photos somewhere and wont be carrying the bag a lot, load it up with everything you could possibly need since you wont be carrying it a whole lot.

It just does not make sense to me to buy the smaller bag for ALMOST the same price as the bigger bag, since the bigger bag is more versatile.
Bigger bags weigh more. Smaller people need smaller bags. Bigger bags cover more of your back and make you sweat. Bigger bags sometimes look goofy. Bigger bags can be more cumbersome.

(Yes, as you can tell, I chose to buy a smaller bag. But not the ugly Lowepro. Kata 3n1-10.)
10-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. Pretty much. Especially the more varied of gear you use, the less it ever makes sense to want everything to live in one bag. (Admittedly, when I was only shooting what remained of my Canon FD stuff, everything lived between two bags: my idea of 'full-sized' and one pretty compact. Now I've got studd in kind of a range from everything from a Domke insert stuffed into a handbag to something I call 'The Caboose' that can carry Mamiya, an F1, a little digital, and glass, and, well, more than I actually care to carry around. (Also carries some kit, a big ol' laptop, and personal effects for travel.)

The smaller (And older?) you are, the more often you want to shave weight and size, where you can. All depends what you want to do and who's doing it with what. Most people's kits never get very big these days, actually, too.

10-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yep. Pretty much. Especially the more varied of gear you use, the less it ever makes sense to want everything to live in one bag. (Admittedly, when I was only shooting what remained of my Canon FD stuff, everything lived between two bags: my idea of 'full-sized' and one pretty compact. Now I've got studd in kind of a range from everything from a Domke insert stuffed into a handbag to something I call 'The Caboose' that can carry Mamiya, an F1, a little digital, and glass, and, well, more than I actually care to carry around. (Also carries some kit, a big ol' laptop, and personal effects for travel.)

The smaller (And older?) you are, the more often you want to shave weight and size, where you can. All depends what you want to do and who's doing it with what. Most people's kits never get very big these days, actually, too.

Well, weight is a non-issue since you could pack the bag as light as you want and fill in the extra space with crumpled up newspaper so stuff doesn't move around. The only thing you would worry about is the size of the bag, which seems to be a bit smaller than a normal backpack.

Lowepro slingshot 100
Size(Exterior):
8.1W X 6.7D X 15.7H in./
20.5 X 17 X 40 cm

Lowepro slingshot 200
Size(Exterior):
9.4W X 7.1D X 17.3H in./
24 X 18 X 44 cm

I really dont see THAT much of a difference in the external dimensions. I still dont see why anyone would pick the 100 for 2-3 dollars MORE than the 200. Especially since the 200 is not that much bigger.
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote

Sometimes you want a smaller bag.
10-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both, and have used the 100 far more. The 200 is a bit thick or deep, technically too large in one direction to fit standard airline dimensions. Into the 100 I can fit: k20D with 17-70; Sigma 10-20; DA 55-300; either 40 f2.8 with close-up lens or 90mm macro; 2 extra batteries; cable release; & lens brush to supplement the built-in cloth. A 360 flash can be fitted into the medium accessory pouch together with an OTC wire, and a refconverter A can be carried in the small accessory pouch. Both pouches are packed in the regular stowed luggage during flight.
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Click thru to see what you can squeeze into a Slingshot 100

One of the reasons I'm glad to be with Pentax is the fact that I can fit a 3-lens/2-body/1-flash kit into such a small package. I doubt that you can achieve the same with Nikon or Canon.