TMK-144B DSLR SLR Tripod (61") w/ Ball Head   00%
Pro FANCIER FT-6662A Tripod NEW with Ball head bag 316.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't vote because I own the dolica and for the situations I need a tripod it leaves something to be desired.
I am putting a k10d with a tamron 70-300 on it and with that combination it will droop.
You have to lock it pointed a few inches above your target in anticipation of the sag.
I guess if all you need it for is to support the camera and a short lens then it should be ok.
If you need it for my situation then save up and get something stronger.

10-25-2010, 07:06 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote
The Slik Sprint Pro is $50 more expensive (and thats like a 75% price increase over the other models). Plus now your talking about upgrading heads which I will not easily have money for.

So far its a tie 4 to 4 between the Triopo and Dolcia (which are the same price for me to get shipped $75-80)
The original post stipulated a price point under $100. I bought the Sprint Pro II just yesterday for $89 USD, shipping included, from Adorama.
(89-75)/75*100 = 19%
Prices in your market (Japan) may be different.

I can't comment on the quality any other four tripods since I have not seen or handled them. I have owned the Sprint Pro and actually wrote a review for this site. As I noted in the review, I considered the Slik to be a little light for general use with the K10D. Since that time, I have traded messages with other forum members (specifically Mike Cash) who used their Sprint Pro frequently with the K10D or K20D and are quite happy. Mike actually supplied a photo of his K10D on the Sprint Pro up to its neck (as it were) in the middle of a stream. Now that is faith! My recent purchase was for use with lighter gear, but I would have no problem using the Slik on a casual basis with any but my heaviest lens.

For anyone thinking about any online tripod purchase (or other gear for that matter), return and warranty policies and ease of return/refund should be a major considerations. Amazon purchases can be notoriously difficult to cancel or negotiate a return, depending on the vendor that actually does the fulfillment. Ditto for eBay. I can only guess how things would work for items drop-shipped from a factory in China.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2010 at 07:13 AM.
10-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #18

Original Poster
The Slik cost a lot more to ship to Japan but if you think it's that big of an improvement... maybe I should save for another month
10-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
Forum Member

I voted Fancier - not because I have one ( I have a Manfrotto) but because I have seen one reviewed side by side to a Manfrotto and they seem very similar and hence very good value.

10-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Slik cost a lot more to ship to Japan but if you think it's that big of an improvement... maybe I should save for another month
They don't sell Slik local to you? They are a Japanese company...a subsidiary of Daiwa.
http://www.slik.co.jp

Steve
10-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They don't sell Slik local to you? They are a Japanese company...a subsidiary of Daiwa.
http://www.slik.co.jp
Steve
Yes but its more expensive here then in the states
11-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes but its more expensive here then in the states
That sucks!

Well now...I feel pretty embarrassed

Not because I did not know that Slik costs more in Japan, but because I gave the the Slik Sprint Pro II such a great vote of confidence. Mine came today and the quality is not as good as the version I that I was familiar with. The version I was lightly built, but the version II is chintzy. I would not suggest this tripod for any dSLR currently on the market and will be sending it back as being too light for any but the smallest of my film cameras. I am particular disappointed with the quick release plate. I had a very difficult time getting tightening the screw enough to adequately secure it to the camera for use in vertical orientation.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Steve

11-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #23

Original Poster
thanks for the info
11-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I am interested in what the maximum height of the tripod would be with zero extension of the centre column. TMK 144B shows a maximum height of 156cm with the centre column fully extended, imo that's no better than mounting a monopod on top of a tripod. If all four tripods mentioned in the survey achieves the maximum height with the centre column fully extended, I'll stick to my Manfrotto monopod or drag the 055 around.

Thanks,
11-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #25

Original Poster
But a tripod is more stable then a mono-pod for long exposure shots
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

But a tripod is more stable then a mono-pod for long exposure shots
Yes, but not when you turn it into a monopod on three legs by extending the centre column to it's maximum height, like TMK 144B does in order to achieve the advertised maximum height. 156cm height is not very tall for a tripod but to get that height via the full centre column extension makes it pretty well useless,imo.

If you use the TMK 144B (or similar) without extending the centre column (for maximum stability) you would be shooting at about 120-130cm height, you won't be using it for long I can guarantee you that. You will either have to bend your back, and tilt your head to compensate for the viewfinder position or do a quarter to half squat with the knees. Both positions are very uncomfortable to maintain for even a short period of time, and will ruin your shooting mood very fast. I went though this a long time ago and I bought myself a Manfrotto 055 legs with 029 3-D head, when fully extended (centre column collapsed) places the viewfinder slightly higher than eye level for me (my height 178cm).

I believe buying a tripod based on cost mainly is a bad idea. If you can't shoot in a comfortable standing position with a tripod you won't be using it too often, and for myself if I had to shoot while bent over and head tilted back, only one who will benefit will be my Chiropractor (repeatedly).

Thanks,
11-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #27

Original Poster
That makes since

Well I got the Dolica on an auction for only $27!!!!

So I hope it turns into a good investment for me. If it doesn't at least I didn't have to take out a loan. It's gotta be better on long exposed shots then my hand :-)
11-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That makes since

Well I got the Dolica on an auction for only $27!!!!

So I hope it turns into a good investment for me. If it doesn't at least I didn't have to take out a loan. It's gotta be better on long exposed shots then my hand :-)
That sounds like some serious value for money :-)
11-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That sucks!

Well now...I feel pretty embarrassed

Not because I did not know that Slik costs more in Japan, but because I gave the the Slik Sprint Pro II such a great vote of confidence. Mine came today and the quality is not as good as the version I that I was familiar with. The version I was lightly built, but the version II is chintzy. I would not suggest this tripod for any dSLR currently on the market and will be sending it back as being too light for any but the smallest of my film cameras. I am particular disappointed with the quick release plate. I had a very difficult time getting tightening the screw enough to adequately secure it to the camera for use in vertical orientation.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Steve
That's too bad. I am happy with the version I own except for the quick release. (I'm not a huge fan of quck release, anyway) I quickly replaced it with another ball head I owned.
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That's too bad. I am happy with the version I own except for the quick release. (I'm not a huge fan of quck release, anyway) I quickly replaced it with another ball head I owned.
Well, I might just be picky

The Sprint Pro II is on its way back to Adorama and I picked up its replacement yesterday at Pro Photo Supply in Portland. I got a Slik Pro 330 DX for $99.99 and it is far superior to the Sprint Pro II. It weighs about half again more (3.3 pounds) with much of that weight being the 3-way head. The legs by themselves only weigh about 2 pounds. I am not particularly thrilled with the 3-way head and will be replacing it with a compact ball head to bring the total weight to about 2.5 pounds.

I will post a detailed review of the Pro 330 DX, the 3-way head that came with it, and whatever ball head I settle on in the near future. As for my first impressions, I have mounted several of my film bodies and the K10D and have no reservations about using any of my lens/body combinations with this tripod with the exception of the 4x5 view camera (duh!).

Steve

P.S. In defense of the Sprint Pro II, it is not bad if you never use the final leg extension and ditch the ball head that it ships with.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.