Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Keebler

stacking a polarizer onto a UV filter?

Hi,

I apologize if my question is incredibly noobish, but if i'm using a polarizer (Wide C-PL Sigma brand), can i screw it onto the UV clear filter which is already on my lens or should i remove the UV one and put the polarizer directly on the lens? Obviously for outdoor, sunny day shots.

Cheers,
Keebler

09-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You can stack them.

But you may have some issues.

1. A vignette might occur depending on the focal length of the lens. Ultra wide angle lenses might give you this issue. This is when you can see the filter in your photos as a dark border or corners.

2. The more filters you place on your lens, the greater the possibility that your image may degrade. If your UV filter is cheap, stacking another filter on top of it won't help your image.

I say try it out. Most of the times, the image degradations is so small it isn't worth mentioning if your just shooting photos for your enjoyment (that is of course if there is any to begin with).
09-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Keebler

Thanks Chako. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
I'm a Northern Ontario boy too Soo-Blind River corridor
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice. Located in the Sault.

09-16-2007, 12:53 AM   #5

Hi,..new member here,..but Older Photographer,..lol

Whilst you CAN just add more filters,..a Trick Often used in Cine Film Work, where Often it can help in getting a better Exposure,...Generally,..I Would Not Recommend it, Depending on What you are trying to achieve that is,..BUT,..

As a Normal Polarizer Will in Effect adjust and absorb Quite a Bit of UV, whilst also getting Rid of the Bluish cast it can cause.

The Polarizer can act as a bit of Both Neutral Density And UV absorber when on the lens,..therefore Not really needing an Extra UV filter.

Perhaps on a very Long lens, depending on Image etc

OH ! and DO always Buy Good Quality Polarisers,..the Best you can afford,..don't Scrimp !

And,..as Pentax ARE Famous for their Multi Coatings,..one would have to argue that Only Proper Good Quality Multi Coated Filters should be used !!,..lol

Cheers
09-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I double stack UV and CPF all the time. Never a problem in image quality. Only issue, as has been said is you can catch the edge of the filter at extreme wide.
09-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
I double stack UV and CPF all the time. Never a problem in image quality. Only issue, as has been said is you can catch the edge of the filter at extreme wide.
Same here ... only one shot that I had slight vignetting in ... I was shooting in RAW that day due to harsh sunlight .... I PP'ed it out later on.