Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D-BG4 lithium-ion vs nimh/aa's

Hi

I'm almost certainly going to get a K-5 when it becomes available here in Australia, and with that I think it would be a good idea to get the battery grip as well. Now, as I have a K200d, I've got a boat load of AA eneloops lying around, and was thinking with the battery grip able to use AA's, should I even bother getting a spare lithium-ion battery, or just carry the eneloops with me, I guess it means I would need to carry an extra charger when on longer trips, but I'd possibly need to carry it anyway for other devices. Has anyone had any experience using AA's in the grip vs using the lithium-ion pack?

dave

10-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I would imagine it would be more efficient if you went with all new batteries of the same type. However, I don't know if it runs the batteries in parallel or it drains one and then goes to the other. Should it run in parallel, it's best to go all new, and equal capacities, otherwise one battery will be draining the other.
10-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used both until the batteries were dead but could not tell you exact picture counts from each. My impression was that both lasted longer than my K20D does with its proprietary battery. If I had a box of eneloops I would not have bothered with the extra proprietaries unless you like to carry your cam w/o the grip much of the time.

Last edited by imtheguy; 10-29-2010 at 07:53 PM.
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My K20 lasts MUCh longer than my K100d did with rechargeable NiMh batteries, FWIW.

10-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys
I guess I've already got the eneloops, and I plan to get the grip anyway, so I can try them out first and see if it's worth getting some batteries off ebay later or something.
10-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get the Pentax battery also, gives you more flexibility/shooting time if you want to go compact w/o the grip.