Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eyecup replacement for k20d

I had bought a couple eyecups and they have both fell apart. I loved them while they lasted though. They are a round eyecup. The back has a metal plate and it has glass installed too that helps keep the viewfinder clean. I believe it was an olympus replacement part but I don't remember what type.
I do have a eyecup that I bought off ebay that has all of the different manufactures adapters to make it fit, but it stands out too far from the camera and I don't like the teardrop shape as much as I like the round one.
I am hoping someone else here knows what I am talking about. It has been years (since the k10d was first released) that I bought the eyecups and I just don't remember.

thank you in adavance for any help you can provide.

10-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. How did what you have fall apart? I might happen to have a few pieces left over from various cheapies and things that might be of use. (Not sure. Quality seems to be an issue in a lot of places: which is why I have some stray parts. )

Have you ever considered trying a KPS magnifying eyepiece or the like? They come with a pretty nice round eyecup, and I'm pretty fond of mine. A company called Tenpa makes one with somewhat less magnification, as well.

Also, I think a rubber Eyecup M or ME would fit nicely, those are round, and since they're all-rubber, they don't stand out too far from the finder.
10-31-2010, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I had bought a couple eyecups and they have both fell apart. I loved them while they lasted though. They are a round eyecup. The back has a metal plate and it has glass installed too that helps keep the viewfinder clean. I believe it was an olympus replacement part but I don't remember what type.
I do have a eyecup that I bought off ebay that has all of the different manufactures adapters to make it fit, but it stands out too far from the camera and I don't like the teardrop shape as much as I like the round one.
I am hoping someone else here knows what I am talking about. It has been years (since the k10d was first released) that I bought the eyecups and I just don't remember.

thank you in adavance for any help you can provide.
Laree, Anything that fits the Olympus OM body viewfinder will fit the Pentax dSLRs. I use an OM Varimagfinder once in awhile. I have a couple of the teardrop types laying around here somewhere and don't particularly care for them either (but they could probably be cut to desired shape. Write me a PM if you like and for the couple $$ shipping, you can have one). The actual one you seek is probably the one that allows the use of a correction lens insert, the teardrop finders do not.

11-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you both for your replies. Jeff, indeed it was the Olympus OM body viewfinder that I was looking for. I managed to find them on ebay. I bought 2 for about $11.00 shipped but they didn't fit very well. I knew I was on the right track though. I then found a seller with a lot of 10 available for $22.00 shipped. When I got those, they were made by the same manufacturer that I had before that I loved so much. YIPEE! Now I have replacements if I need them again.

I wonder if they would fit on the k-5? I'll be getting the k-5 sometime next year. Hopefully the price will come down, it is too expensive for my pocket at the current price.
Again, thank you both for your help. I appreciate it!

11-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Thank you both for your replies. Jeff, indeed it was the Olympus OM body viewfinder that I was looking for. I managed to find them on ebay. I bought 2 for about $11.00 shipped but they didn't fit very well. I knew I was on the right track though. I then found a seller with a lot of 10 available for $22.00 shipped. When I got those, they were made by the same manufacturer that I had before that I loved so much. YIPEE! Now I have replacements if I need them again.

I wonder if they would fit on the k-5? I'll be getting the k-5 sometime next year. Hopefully the price will come down, it is too expensive for my pocket at the current price.
Again, thank you both for your help. I appreciate it!
Thanks for the bump LaRee.. In regard to your question, I've been using the same Pentax O-ME53 since the K10d and it is now on my K5. Telling me, that whatever fit one, fits all.

11-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Thanks for the bump LaRee.. In regard to your question, I've been using the same Pentax O-ME53 since the K10d and it is now on my K5. Telling me, that whatever fit one, fits all.

As long as it's only about the actual eyepiece fitting, btw. Some of the other things available may not fit smaller bodies than a K20d, like the familiar KPS, incidentally. It may or may not fit, but the k-7 and k-5 are smaller cameras with bigger LCDs and I don't know if anyone's tried fitting a KPS to one.

What I do know is that my KPS fits my k20d like a glove, as in *tight.* I forget it didn't come with the camera, but there's no more room without grinding. This *doesn't* mean they don't fit the K-7 or 5 bodies, but I don't think anyone's said. (They may not even need them. But...)

Anyway, glad you found your happy things, La Ree.
11-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
As long as it's only about the actual eyepiece fitting, btw. Some of the other things available may not fit smaller bodies than a K20d, like the familiar KPS, incidentally. It may or may not fit, but the k-7 and k-5 are smaller cameras with bigger LCDs and I don't know if anyone's tried fitting a KPS to one.

What I do know is that my KPS fits my k20d like a glove, as in *tight.* I forget it didn't come with the camera, but there's no more room without grinding. This *doesn't* mean they don't fit the K-7 or 5 bodies, but I don't think anyone's said. (They may not even need them. But...)
Fair enough RML.. I haven't tried the KPS unit (did look into it though, no pun intended).. I'm only stating from personal experience with the K10/20/7/5 cameras. Since the O-ME53 is sold as a generic unit (not specifically for the flagships), it's easy to assume that an accessory that fits one camera will fit all (dSLRs).

11-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Fair enough RML.. I haven't tried the KPS unit (did look into it though, no pun intended).. I'm only stating from personal experience with the K10/20/7/5 cameras. Since the O-ME53 is sold as a generic unit (not specifically for the flagships), it's easy to assume that an accessory that fits one camera will fit all (dSLRs).

True, just thought I'd point out that though the mounting is the same, I don't know if these KPS ones will fit the newer bodies, (same mounting but a bigger piece of metal all around, and all.)

They *could,* but that's all about things other than a compatible eyepiece mounting. 'm sure someone here must have tried by now.

11-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
True, just thought I'd point out that though the mounting is the same, I don't know if these KPS ones will fit the newer bodies, (same mounting but a bigger piece of metal all around, and all.)

They *could,* but that's all about things other than a compatible eyepiece mounting. I'm sure someone here must have tried by now.
If not on the K5 then at least on the K7 which is (almost) identical to the K5 (there are Some differences).