Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would you recommend

I am between:
Lowepro Pro Runner 200 AW Photo Backpack

LOWEPRO SLINGSHOT 200 AW 200AW

what would you say that is the most convinient?

Thanks

11-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I've had the Slingshot 200 for about a year and I think it's alright. I do however find that it can be a bit harsh on the back at times, especially when I carry a lot of gear in it. So, if I was to do it all over again, I would prefer something along the line of a back pack like the Pro Runner. Beeing able to sling your bag around for quick access is a nice feature, but I would make comfort my priority. Hope this helps.
11-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Slingshot 200 but used it only once. The idea sounds good, but it's no fun to carry it for more than an hour. It's clumsy and uncomfortable. It may be good for some situations (e.g. you have to move around a lot, but when you stop, you can put the bag down for some time).

I use a backpack, and when shooting, I carry the camera with an Op/Tech harness.
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what do you plan to carry, and how do you plan to use it.

I have a multitude of backpacks, a slingbag, and a shoulder bag or three.

Backpacks are great for hauling lots of stuff, A-B, not as good for being based at B.

Of my 3 backpacks, only the Lowepro phototrekker AW (big bag holds 2-3 bodies, 2 big tele's and lots of little lenses) is a properly designed back from a suspension point of view. I have a computrekker, which can hold a laptop, but you wouldn't hike with a lap top usually, and the suspension of it and my microtrekker are such that the bag does not properly fit my body. EIther the waist belt is correctly placed, and the chest strap is around my neck or the chest strap is properly placed and the waist belt is around my ribs. (I am not a tall person at 5'8")

The micro trekker is OK with 1 or 2 bodies and 3 lenses for being in a city, the computrekker is only good for getting from A-B with a fll load, the photo trekker is great in any condition, but is too big in crowded areas. comfortable but clumsey.

I have a sling bag, that my son used one year at school, which is an OK way to carry a couple of spare lenses, while walking about, but not a long distance hiler.

I have 2 shoulder bags, one big one one small one. Big one is OK A-B but too heavy at B,

Small bag is great for 2-3 lenses or a second body with one lens.

What I normally do is take a backpack, plus the small shoulder bag. This allows me to get my kit from A-B and when at B I use the shoulder bag on the walk abouts.

11-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
Ok thanks,
I have one camera with 3 lenses and I am looking for a bag for general carrying around.
I suppose when I go travelling 1-2 times a year I would be carrying the bag continiously and also 3-4 times per year if we go in country trekking.
Thus I need to consider if I really want one strap or two straps.
11-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
Ok thanks,
I have one camera with 3 lenses and I am looking for a bag for general carrying around.
I suppose when I go travelling 1-2 times a year I would be carrying the bag continiously and also 3-4 times per year if we go in country trekking.
Thus I need to consider if I really want one strap or two straps.
given the situation you have, I can see either a sling bag or a small backpack like the photo trekker being OK. Consider most of the time when walking about, you will have the camera and one lens in hand. so it is only carrying the other two lenses, a rocket blower, filters, and memory cards.

Also, if you are going In-country, does this imply overnight? Yoy may want to have a bigger bag and split the useage between camera and gear.

Also consider some form of rain cover. I have been caught two or three times a long way from cover, when a thunder storm develops. Most , but not all lowepro bags have covers. the photo trekker does not, so I bought an aftermarket one.
11-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
OK thanks.
I think i like slinghot, for the way it turns and you can easily take the camera out...
But on the other side, i like the two straps at the bag, where you dont get so easily tired!

Arghhhh!

I can see that there is a new slingshot 202 model, i suppose has some minor changes from 200.

As i can see from the price 202 is more expensive than pro runner 200, so its perceived to be better?

Thanks

11-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Have you considered the Kata 3N1?
11-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
from experience, i recommend the Lowepro Fastpack or at least something that works lke it.
11-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I use a really small and simple Lowepro bag that can hold almost NINE lenses (albeit manual lenses), plus the needed hoods (since some are cross-changeable) and the little crapola. I just want something that I can dangle on my shoulder and drop to the ground in an instant.

However, it won't hold the camera like this, which I don't care about anyway. My camera in my bag is a useless thing.

However again, as mentioned above, this is what I'll use to get from home to destination. When I'm at the destination, I use one of these tiny hip sack thingies that can hold about 3 lenses, depending on length.

My best shots, however, were taken with one lens on the camera, with the bag left in the car or house.
11-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I use a really small and simple Lowepro bag that can hold almost NINE lenses (albeit manual lenses), plus the needed hoods (since some are cross-changeable) and the little crapola. I just want something that I can dangle on my shoulder and drop to the ground in an instant.

However, it won't hold the camera like this, which I don't care about anyway. My camera in my bag is a useless thing.

However again, as mentioned above, this is what I'll use to get from home to destination. When I'm at the destination, I use one of these tiny hip sack thingies that can hold about 3 lenses, depending on length.

My best shots, however, were taken with one lens on the camera, with the bag left in the car or house.
It all comes back to the first question I asked, is the bag to get you from A to B or to use when at B?

Like you, Ira, I find I have different bags for each purpose
11-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
In the end Kata 467 is also in my options now and also fastpack 200 :-)
11-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
Basically as i am not a pro and just want a bag for a general use, i am looking for a bag to take me from A to B, but also have it with me at B.

I dont have so many items, just 3 lenses for the moment.
11-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have yet to find a bag that good at getting from A-B and then using at B. Backpacks are best at A-B, while shoulder and messenger bags provide faster access at B. That's why I've got both.

Perhaps there's a waistpack that you can use as such A-B but also has a shoulder strap that you can switch to when @ B....

Good luck!
11-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Different bags serve different purposes BUT the Sling bag in my opinion is the most versatile. I feel comfortable wearing it while hiking and walking long distances.