Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Split image Focus Screen for k10/20

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Since i'm using MF lenses a lot more now i was thinking of changing the screen. I'm comfortable with split image screens but Pentax doesn't make one. I was going to order a magnifying eyepiece as my eyes aren't what they once were in any case

has anyone tried one of these (it's really not much more than just the eyepiece is in Canada) apparently made from salvaged k1000 screens from what i can tell

45 Split Focus Screen pentax k10d k20d ist DS w/ O-ME53 on eBay.ca (item 350131378495 end time 15-Nov-10 20:28:14 EST)

I do know about the katzeye but it's not in the budget for now unless i come across a good used one cheap

11-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the link you show does not lead to a diagonal split image focusing screen but an eyepeice and a regular horizontal split image. You should get this confiormed.

I have used split image screens from Jinfinance.

In fact, I have a single 45 degree diagonal split image in my K10D and a dual split image in my *istD.

I like them both. I think the quality of the dual split is a little better, but that is just me perhaps, and myu opinion.
11-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks
i am primarily worried about the difference in thickness affecting the AF as i do use it as well. it appears the metering is more accurate than the optibrite screens from katzeye (as much as 50 year old eyes could use the extra brightness)
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
thanks
i am primarily worried about the difference in thickness affecting the AF as i do use it as well. it appears the metering is more accurate than the optibrite screens from katzeye (as much as 50 year old eyes could use the extra brightness)
The focusing screen is not used by the AF system, so you do not need to worry about that. Spot metering will be affected by changing the screen.

Focusing Screen also sells very nice screens.

11-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i rarely spot meter, and have a hand held meter that i can use for that if i think i need it (i'm still a sunny 16 guy with most film shots once you areused to it it's easy to hit, the exception for me is with slides where the latitude is far narrower

thanks I think I'll go for it then

BTW i can live with the horizontal split though i'd prefer the diagonal I'll look to see if they have the alternate before ordering