Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Sling Bag vs. small primes = whoops!

I find the Pentax Sling bag to be perfect for carrying quite a few items without taking up too much space. When I first got the Sling bag, I only had zoom lenses. Now that I have made the transition to small primes, I have come across a problem.

With the zooms, the lenses fit snug into the lens pockets of the bag. The primes just drop into the compartment leaving alot of space around them. They can roll around in there, and potentially fall out when you open the bag to change lenses.

I kneeled down to the ground, swung the bag around to the front and unzipped the lens compartment. I reached in and grabbed the 21. Upon doing so, the 50 1.7 rolled out of the pocket underneath it and hit the concrete below causing a dent to the filter ring. A little upsetting, but I was glad that it wasn't a more expensive lens that came out.

Is anybody using the Pentax Sling bag with small primes? If so, have you modified the bag in a way different than it was originally designed to keep the small lenses in place more securely? I really like the bag, and don't want to change bags, so I am looking for idea's on how to keep this from happening again.

I've come up with two idea's that may work, but wanted to see what others have done first before I do so.

My idea's are:

1. More partition dividers to fill in the gaps and potentially give me a 4th lens pocket. But, where would I get more of the dividers?

2. Some elastic net over the lens pockets. I still have some left over from my recent car seat net. Sew it on around 3 of the 4 sides so that I have to pull the net down to get the lens out. This would keep the lenses from falling out on their own. I would sew the net to the bag itself and not the dividers, that way I can change the arrangement of the dividers in the future if I need to.

What have you done?

11-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How is your bag set up now? Can you post a photo?

There's a description of how I use my bag and some photos here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/75650-wel...sling-bag.html

One thing I thought of for your Limited primes is to use a case that holds all three, so they would take up space on the sling bag similar to a larger, single lens. Pentax has a beauty; PentaxWebstore DA Limited Lens Case
11-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ha! I blacked out the red Pentax logo on mine as well.

Mine is currently setup with the default confuguration as the bag comes brand new with 3 compartments for lenses on the bottom.

I do like that DA LTD case. I may just pick that up for when I want to travel with very little.
11-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This might help a bit.

11-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 on the Optech double caps.
I use a Kata medium sized waist pack, its only small but I can carry the camera with a prime mounted in the centre. 4 more primes in the 2 pockets using the "double caps" plus batteries, cards, afew 49mm filters and it's little raincoat.

The Ltd lens case is nice when you just want to stick in in a (deep) coat pocket or tkae all the Ltd in a backpack. It is 235mm long which is the same length a Sigma100-300 so not sure it would fit that well in the Pentax sling bag.

Last edited by steve1307; 11-17-2010 at 04:28 AM.
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Ha! I blacked out the red Pentax logo on mine as well.

Mine is currently setup with the default confuguration as the bag comes brand new with 3 compartments for lenses on the bottom.

I do like that DA LTD case. I may just pick that up for when I want to travel with very little.
I have the DA Ltd case, and it is a cool place to store your lenses in a drawer or on a shelf. I don't find it very practical otherwise. You can use it to get lenses from flat surface A to flat surface B, but you can't use it very easily to take and place lenses while the strap is around your neck or shoulder.
11-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
How is your bag set up now? Can you post a photo?

There's a description of how I use my bag and some photos here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/75650-wel...sling-bag.html

One thing I thought of for your Limited primes is to use a case that holds all three, so they would take up space on the sling bag similar to a larger, single lens. Pentax has a beauty; PentaxWebstore DA Limited Lens Case

Hadn't seen that one before, thanks for pointing it out.

11-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I'm hiking and otherwise traveling light, I roll with the DA Limiteds 21/40/70 or 21/35Macro/70. I change lenses fairly frequently, so I've resorted to just keeping the camera around my neck with the 2 primes in my pockets. Baggy pants help, as do cargo pants with either snaps or buttons on the pockets.

If that won't work, get one of these from KEH.com for like $13 bux:

Or if you really want to use the sling, you can prevent the primes from spilling out by attaching them to cameras LOL!

Pentax makes it possible to carry a compact, high quality kit. Let's show off to all those Canikon owners with rich chiropracters!
11-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Hadn't seen that one before, thanks for pointing it out.
Yeah, that is one sexy case with the DA Limiteds in it!