Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #16

I ordered this tripod as well. Placed an order on Sunday night and got it yesterday. I got burned with extra shipping and handling to Canada. The total came up to about $55.
Still, I’d say tripod is worth the money. Nowhere near my Manfrodo in terms of stability and pure ruggedness, but it’s way lighter and smaller. It comes in a pretty carrying bag too!
Legs are a bit “flexy” and tripod may not be all that stable fully extended. But I don’t think I would use it fully extended since I can’t even see through a viewfinder.
Works good with my K20 with battery grip and Tamron 28-75 lens.

11-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
While I was at it I order a book and a couple of other things for my wife so I opted for the Super Saver shipping. I think is should be called "Super Slow Shipping" It still has not left the warehouse. I look forward to getting it and retiring my 40 year old not very versatile Vivitar tripod.

I don't use a tripod much and mostly at table height for still life photos of my artwork so I hope it works out well. for $18 if it does not work out I did not spend to much.

Al
11-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I received mine today and it blows my 40 year old tripod away. Although it has some scratches on one of the legs, I love it. Its legs can come out 90 degrees for macro or low to ground shots. Its quick-release plate is actually good (I've heard some are crappy and vibrate around when locked down). It has a hook for hanging weight on the center column and apparently you can move the ball head to the bottom for low grownd pictures. It can switch easily between rubber and spike feet. It has a level on the body and the ball head. It has a compass. Came with a case.

Its leg clamps may not be the strongest thing, but I didn't know what I was missing with my old screw-style tripod.

Also, if anyone has a .edu email address, there are still free for a year prime signups
Amazon Student

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-17-2010 at 06:48 PM.
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_T Quote
While I was at it I order a book and a couple of other things for my wife so I opted for the Super Saver shipping. I think is should be called "Super Slow Shipping" It still has not left the warehouse. I look forward to getting it and retiring my 40 year old not very versatile Vivitar tripod.

I don't use a tripod much and mostly at table height for still life photos of my artwork so I hope it works out well. for $18 if it does not work out I did not spend to much.

Al
Sorry to hear that, I use the Amazon Prime option because we order so much for the clinic and for $75/yr we get Free 2 Day shipping. If you buy enough (or even a few heavy items like a printer now and again) it can more than pay for itself with the added bonus that everything gets to you superfast. I to our stuff on Monday after ordering Saturday evening.

11-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Sorry to hear that, I use the Amazon Prime option because we order so much for the clinic and for $75/yr we get Free 2 Day shipping. If you buy enough (or even a few heavy items like a printer now and again) it can more than pay for itself with the added bonus that everything gets to you superfast. I to our stuff on Monday after ordering Saturday evening.
I always choose free shipping. Some times it comes early (but not this tripod...)
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I always choose free shipping. Some times it comes early (but not this tripod...)
Most likely because there was an intense buying for this over a 8 hour period

Oh well, I always choose the cheapest shipping method... I keep my expectations low so that when I get suprised I feel happy about it.

Right now I have been waiting on a bag I bought on ebay for almost a month (i think its been 27 days!)
11-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote
Most likely because there was an intense buying for this over a 8 hour period
Nah, that doesn't affect shipping. The little camera case I added to get to the free shipping level has shipped, though, which I'm going to use for my Sansa mp3 player, USB and buds (another order which also just shipped). Lost the old Sansa somewhere...

11-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I got one too, it came today, very impressed with it for the price. I had a cheap Sunpak that finally broke and I figured it was time to try a ball head, I had nothing to lose at this price. It definitely suits me a lot better than the 3 way head, it is very stable and doesn't take much effort to lock it in place. The last segment of the legs stick a little, but I don't think it will be an issue for me. I haven't had any long lenses on it yet, longest I have is a cheap 70-210 anyway, so I don't think I'll be stressing this thing very much.
11-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

All I can say is that for $18.74 shipped its really amazing how good it is. It's not as sturdy as the ones I used 25 years ago, but they weighed 3-5x as much. The head seems easy to use and it has a hook under the center post to hand weight to steady it. No problems with mine from a QA standpoint other than the very small compass fell out of its socket The bag is actually pretty nice for it too.

Thanks again for the heads up.
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #25

Original Poster
your welcome :-)

After using it if you could review it that would be nice. When I saw its negative reviews I almost didn:t buy it but now I'm happy I did and it could use the positive feedback on this forums misc accessory section
11-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Well I just got notice from Amazon that my order shipped today and will be here tomorrow. Yippee.

Al
11-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #27

I ordered mine on the 12th and it arrived yesterday. It looks good and is an excellent value for money. Sometimes, a bit of patience is good .. I could have saved 6 bucks by waiting a day or two - it was 24.99 when I ordered it.
11-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Got mine today. It is a great value at $18.74. Heck I would not make the bag for that much. Everything works well and seems plenty sturdy for my needs or till I want an expensive unit.

Al

Last edited by Al_T; 11-19-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Content
11-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #29

Original Poster
well I'm happy to help as many people out as possible

if you guys want leave a review, help it get out of the ashes of a 7 rating

Dolica Proline (Aluminum) - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags
11-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Left a review. Used it for the past week on our trip. Tried my hand at some HDR exposures with it. All in all, a very nice trip pod for the casual user.