Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advise on accessories for trip to Hawaii

Hi all,

Planning a 3 weeks trip to Hawaii this winter. Will mostly camp in parks, and some nights in Hostel. longest day in camp will be 3 days and then try to stay in a hostel (to backup food supply, etc.)

I would like some suggestion on:
1. Storage. I have 6 8GB Sandisk Extreme III cards, I want a portable HD that I can transfer my files WITHOUT the need of a PC. Any recommendation? I want something that ensure all my files been transferred safely! Now I was thinking to buy one of those small netbook to ensure files were properly transfer, but that will be troublesome.

2. Tripod. I have the Dolica $40 bucks tripod and a $14 Ultrapod II. I would like to hike to some places to take pictures of sunrise, sunset, lava @ night. Can you recommend a lightweight tripod <$100 ?

3. I will have my trusty k200d with me (and a LX3) but since I am planning to do long exposure shots at night while camp out, could you recommend a car-charger for AA battery (I will rent a car some days) that is light weight enough to bring with me?

4. My widest lens is my 18-55mm kit lens. I have 21mm ltd, 35mm ltd, FA 50mm 1.4. F50 1.7, 50-200mm WR, and all 3 FA ltds. Most likely I will bring 18-55mm, 50-200mm WR, and which would you recommend for some low light shots at night? 35ltd macro is good but is only f2.8. Maybe the FA43 ltd? Wish I have the FA35 or a K-5!

Many thanks!

Lee

11-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Can you recommend a lightweight tripod <$100 ?
The velbon ultra max-i is nice and sturdy for compact lenses, but it looks like it's not being produced any more. They have a new version for $105: Velbon Ultra Maxi-L Tripod w/ PHD-31Q 3-Way ULTRA MAXI L B&H

I'd take the 50mm F1.4 for low-light shooting, 35mm macro as your walkaround, either the 18-55 or 21mm, and the 50-200 for tele shots. You'll probably find yourself using the 50-200mm the most, I think.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

1) Just don't shoot everything you see. Be more selective and 48GB worth of storage space will hold more (good) shots than you can shake a stick at. The costs of a HD meeting those requirements will buy you more SD cards. Why not store them there?

2) The ideal tripod has three attributes: strong, light and inexpensive. But you can only get one with any two of those attributes.

5) Sun screen, bathing suit, snorkel and fins.
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Keep in mind a netbook can support multiple uses, such as hopping onto public Wi-Fi APs (like Panera, McDonalds, etc) to check out travel resource sites and Google Maps/Earth.

Netbooks are so portable that I wouldn't really consider them to be troublesome. They get such good battery life that if you only use it to transfer pictures, it'll go for a VERY long time between charges.

11-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, tuco, and Entropy for the replies...

Adam, would the SILK Mini a good choice? 50mm 1.4 focus distance is a bit too far, but it is the fastest lens I have got, and it is light too...

tuco, I also plan to shoot some video with the LX3, that is why it might eat up storage quickly.
Entropy, I think your suggestion is good, I might need it to search for some thing over there, will certainly look for a netbook.

Anyone know if Hawaii is generally a safe place to camp out?

I have got myself a water seal bag, and a DiCapak for my LX3 for some snorkeling shots. I probably need polarize filter too?

Thanks again,
Lee
11-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I pondered the storage dilemma some time ago when looking at Wolverine storage devices (no viewer). Got a multi-use laptop instead. Finally did not want to lug that around, and replaced it a couple vacations ago with a netbook.

I review PEFs using FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ..., and delete the real duds off the cards. I am much less willing to delete using a small camera LCD to make the judgment on (perhaps) once in a lifetime shots.

I would get one of those tiny 6-inch tripods and forget the rest. You should be able to brace that little one against a tree, post, wall, doorway, trash can etc., if needed.

I'm pretty sure camping in Hawaii is similar to anywhere else. Use some common sense, however.

Pearl Harbor has a free tour out to the Arizona memorial (well it was free 35 years ago, at least), nearby Punchbowl cemetery is photogenic, and Hanauma Bay to the east of Diamond Head has great snorkeling. The north shore has famous surf locations, and the west side has some nice mountains. Going up the Pali behind Honolulu leads to a fantastic view at the top where the mountain ranges come together. Honolulu is rather touristy as you might imagine.

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-17-2010 at 10:01 PM.
11-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We visited the black sand beach on the northern side of the big island this year and there was a guy who had been camping there. Also, along one of the other beaches I met some campers. I'm not sure exactly how safe it is, but I met at least two people who were doing it so I wouldn't think it's that bad.

Something to think about are morning shots. There are times that the wet pavement gives off very nice steam/mist and absolutely glows in the morning. I only saw it once in two weeks, but it was beautiful. Sadly...no camera when I saw it and I'm still kicking myself...

11-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks SpecialK and opiet70 for the advise and info!

SpecialK, I looked into it and seem like it is still free.
opiet70, I would definitely wake up early in the morning to see the sunrises. Hope it is not too cold over there!

Lee
11-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks SpecialK and opiet70 for the advise and info!

SpecialK, I looked into it and seem like it is still free.
opiet70, I would definitely wake up early in the morning to see the sunrises. Hope it is not too cold over there!

Lee
Being from Utah, it seemed warm enough to me

I spent quite a bit of time scoping out good 'seascape' areas for the pictures and found a couple. It really depends on which side of the island you are on as you may be limited to one or the other if you want the ocean in the picture. That being said, you are in the tropics and certainly don't limit yourself to ocean pics!

As a suggestion, I did quite a bit of landscape with my DA 12-24 and brought several telephoto options (pretty much everything on my signature. What I did not have was anything for macro. The flowers there are simply phenomenal and well worth some time. Also, there can be some interesting textures you can dive into (at least on the big island) with plants, lava, etc that get pretty cool during the golden hours of light.

I hope you have as wonderful a time as my wife and I did. We did a lot of hiking and exploring and we WILL go back.