Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member
StarDust's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 400
Looking for a monopod

After looking through a couple of threads here at PF I'm still not completely sure what monopod is perfect for me.

I have a couple of requirements listed below;
Price: No more than $120 with the head
Size: As short as possible when collapsed, 175 cm with head and camera at viewfinder level (I'm 170 all in all so I've added about 15 cm to eye level to be on the safe side)
Weight: As light as possible with the ability to carry about 1.5 kg (3.3 lb).
Head: Manfrotto compatible quick release head. I already always have the quick release from the 488RC2 on my camera and it would be great if it was compatible. I was thinking the 484RC2. This head negotiable however a quick release head is not.

I'm not too bothered with many sections, a compact size is more important. Is there anything else I should be considering?
My fiancÚ is in New York at the moment and I was hoping that she might get one there if she can find a good price. Her hotel is close to Central Park and she will be staying till Saturday.

I'll be happy for any and all tips on monopods, stores and heads!

11-18-2010, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 388
Rocketfish™ - 70" Carbon Fiber Monopod - RF-MONO70C

I'd ask your fiance to go to a Best Buy there, I have this monopod, pretty sturdy built with a decent ball head. It can easily hold my D700 and 70-200mm/2.8 VR II. I am a little scared of putting the D700 and Sigma 120-300/2.8 on there though, even it says the head holds up to 20lbs or so. But for everyday use, it's definitely a very decent carbon fiber mono...

hope that helps...
11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member
StarDust's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 400
Original Poster
Nice tip there, considering my length I might just get away with not using the last section at all to increase stability!
Anyone else have any suggestions?
11-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
I know you've researched this a lot and are determined to buy one, but I can only give you my opinion:

Monopods are usually more trouble they're worth.

When you come across a scene/situation where you would want to use a tripod, a monopod simply isn't a substitute for that.

11-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member
StarDust's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 400
Original Poster
I know I might not get that eight second exposure at ISO 100 that I got when I lugged my 190XPROB to the Eiffel Tower at night, but if I bumped up the ISO to 800 I could get away with one second and that might be something that a monopod and my pretty steady hands can handle. Or am I wrong?
Man that was one gruesome day when I think about it. Mostly walking and managed to lug that tripod to Montmartre, Sacre Coeur, that famous cemetery which I can't remember the name of (Montmartre cemetery perhaps?), Moulin Rouge and finally the Eiffel Tower.
Well enough anecdotes, and in the future no more back pains I hope.
11-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
Manfrotto 679B with 234RC tilt/swivel head mounted, collapsed length 68cm, fully extended 162cm, without camera. The 680B with four sections is more compact but do not lock as solidly as the 679B. The cost at Adorama for both parts, less than $100.00 - about 25% cheaper than what I paid locally.

Thanks,
11-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,244
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Manfrotto 679B with 234RC tilt/swivel head mounted, collapsed length 68cm, fully extended 162cm, without camera. The 680B with four sections is more compact but do not lock as solidly as the 679B. The cost at Adorama for both parts, less than $100.00 - about 25% cheaper than what I paid locally.

Thanks,
Why not the Manfrotto 680B? Its a 4 section with a heavy weight rating that collapses to a smaller overall size than the 679 and is roughly the same price. With the 234RC it still prices out at less than $100.

BTW, I understand Ira's comment but for taking pics throughout a kids soccer game my monopod (not in the class with the ones we're discussing) is less intrusive when in a crowd, takes the weight off my arms, steadies the camera, and is generally easier to deal with in that situation.
11-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Why not the Manfrotto 680B? Its a 4 section with a heavy weight rating that collapses to a smaller overall size than the 679 and is roughly the same price. With the 234RC it still prices out at less than $100.

BTW, I understand Ira's comment but for taking pics throughout a kids soccer game my monopod (not in the class with the ones we're discussing) is less intrusive when in a crowd, takes the weight off my arms, steadies the camera, and is generally easier to deal with in that situation.
I was in the store and tried both before buying 679B. I extended the monopod fully, planted the foot to the floor and put a fair amount of downward pressure on the monopod and the 680B collapsed where 679B did not. I used the wrench that comes with the monopods to tighten the leg locks with same result. I also found the 679B to be more or less the perfect height when I am kneeling for macro or close up shots, with the leg collapsed. If portability is important to you select 680B, if rigidity is important (to me), pick 679B.

Thanks,

11-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,244
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I was in the store and tried both before buying 679B. I extended the monopod fully, planted the foot to the floor and put a fair amount of downward pressure on the monopod and the 680B collapsed where 679B did not. I used the wrench that comes with the monopods to tighten the leg locks with same result. I also found the 679B to be more or less the perfect height when I am kneeling for macro or close up shots, with the leg collapsed. If portability is important to you select 680B, if rigidity is important (to me), pick 679B.

Thanks,
Thanks. I'm confused though as you said it collapsed not wiggled. Same maker, are they the same latch system? If so is it possible you had a bad copy of that model? To me rigidity is how stable and resistant the mono/tri-pod is to transmitting vibration (wiggle). Collapsing has more to do with the strength of the product and particularly the clamps/latches that hold the sections extended at a specific length.
11-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. I'm confused though as you said it collapsed not wiggled. Same maker, are they the same latch system? If so is it possible you had a bad copy of that model? To me rigidity is how stable and resistant the mono/tri-pod is to transmitting vibration (wiggle). Collapsing has more to do with the strength of the product and particularly the clamps/latches that hold the sections extended at a specific length.
I went to three different stores locally over time and the 680B under pressure would abruptly collapse down by about 6 inches between section 1 and 2 as seen from the top. They were all store display models so they may have been handled by many people before me, but still the same thing happening at three different locations cannot be discounted as a 'bad copy', imo. Anyways, 679B works for me and when my latest eBay acquisition arrives (Manfrotto Joystick head 3265), I think the combination will give me the maximum versatility that can be derived from a monopod.

Thanks,
11-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member
StarDust's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 400
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have a couple to choose from now. We'll see if my fiancÚ turns up with a monopod when she returns
In case there isn't a good package deal like the Rocketfish, the 234RC seems like a good head for a monopod. Definitely worth looking up.
11-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,244
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I went to three different stores locally over time and the 680B under pressure would abruptly collapse down by about 6 inches between section 1 and 2 as seen from the top. They were all store display models so they may have been handled by many people before me, but still the same thing happening at three different locations cannot be discounted as a 'bad copy', imo. Anyways, 679B works for me and when my latest eBay acquisition arrives (Manfrotto Joystick head 3265), I think the combination will give me the maximum versatility that can be derived from a monopod.

Thanks,
Well, that seems to answer that. You're very lucky to have even one store with Manfrotto's on display (I can't find one within any reasonable distance) but 3 - wow.
11-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,637
I don't know about the Manfrotto plate, but here's what I use:

Dynatran AT-2091M CF MONOPOD - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Really satisfied with it.
11-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,631
trekpod

I have a trekpod and love it. It also doubles as a walking staff, and is very sturdy. They have two different models, one of them collapses short enought to fit in a suitcase. I've owned my for about 5 years now and love it.
AFAIK, they can only be bought online.
Link:here

NaCl(an excellent monopod and a definite help in getting 61 yr old knees over old stone walls, fallen tree trunks and other stuff in the woods)H2O
11-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member
StarDust's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 400
Original Poster
The trekpod seems really cool but those with the legs (the tripodish ones) are way over my budget. I'll add the Dynatran to the list of monopods to look at. A monopod that doubles as a walking staff would be nice but not necessary.
Unfortunately my fiancÚ seems to have come down with a nasty cold over there and might not be inclined to go monopod hunting. In any case I've learned a lot about monopods these past few days and I might get one over here instead, at a slightly higher price.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, couple, head, level, monopod, price, release, size, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Monopod Fl_Gulfer Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 04-27-2010 11:33 AM
Monopod? emr Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 01-04-2010 10:36 PM
SR with monopod? PeterAM Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 12-18-2009 12:59 PM
Monopod, etc. stafford588 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 0 12-31-2007 02:54 AM
A different monopod wayne Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 07-06-2007 03:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top