Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smith-Victor BH8 Ball Head...

Anyone have experience with this ball head?

Here's a link: Smith-Victor BH8 Ballhead with Arca-Type Quick Release 700355

Technically, I like to get a ball head that uses the Swiss-Arca type QR plate, but for the price I haven't found anything that will be strong enough (for K-7 + Grip + Sigma 70-200mm). If you have any suggestions, please say...

11-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently bought the Smith-Victor BH5 (max claimed weight supported: 26lbs vs. 40lbs for the BH8), but I haven't really used it yet... I do have a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and a K200D w/grip, but I was planning to use the ballhead more for my less-hefty lenses... I would imagine the BH5 could hand it, since I think camera + lens is what, 6lbs? I assumed that 26lbs was a generous rating (I've read most every head/tripod maker is overly-optimistic with their specs), but was thinking the BH5 should be enough for my equipment... any tests I could do that might help?
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I recently bought the Smith-Victor BH5 (max claimed weight supported: 26lbs vs. 40lbs for the BH8), but I haven't really used it yet... I do have a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and a K200D w/grip, but I was planning to use the ballhead more for my less-hefty lenses... I would imagine the BH5 could hand it, since I think camera + lens is what, 6lbs? I assumed that 26lbs was a generous rating (I've read most every head/tripod maker is overly-optimistic with their specs), but was thinking the BH5 should be enough for my equipment... any tests I could do that might help?
Yes, I think it would... If I knew that the BH5 could at least half way handle your camera and Tamron, I think that would tell us something about the BH8.
Mostly though, is the ball action smooth, or jerky? and when you tighten it down, does the camera slightly move or does it stay put?