Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Targus Tripod for CHEAP at Target!!! (UPDATE)

The Targus TG-P60T is on clearance at my Target for 32.00 dollars, normally 64.99

I got this just because i can move the legs almost completely horizontal.

Check your local target if you want to step up from a basic ultralight tripod.

This is what i bought: Merkury Innovations Targus 60 Tripod 3 Way Panhead Bubble Level Pro Series - ATS - Online Computer Store

EDIT: i just opened it. This thing feels HEAVY. I wont be taking this on any hiking trips, but wind would not move this thing at all.

Info from the manual:
TG-P60T
Max. operating height: 151.5cm / 60"
Min. operation height: 14.0cm / 5.5"
Folded Height: 58.5cm / 23"
Max. tube diameter: 23mm / 0.92"
Net weight: 1.6kg / 3.5lb
Max. load capacity: 2.25kg / 5.0lb

Last edited by Silverkarn; 11-21-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: New info.
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think many of us got the Dolica for $18.50 a few days ago. Maybe those who missed that sale will go for this one.
11-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think many of us got the Dolica for $18.50 a few days ago. Maybe those who missed that sale will go for this one.
I missed the Dolica
11-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
I missed the Dolica
Yes, but you get a pan head. Dolica has a ball head. I hope I can swap heads easily.

11-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, but you get a pan head. Dolica has a ball head. I hope I can swap heads easily.
I thought ball heads were more desirable than pan heads? Of course the topic i was reading that in was about Monopods, not Tripods.

Anyway, i can remove the entire head of this tripod and mount it on the underside of the centerpole if i want to get REALLY close to the ground. Also it kind of reminds me of my dads old tripod that i remember him having when i was a child in the 80s with the cork covered quick release instead of your normal rubber nowdays.
11-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I thought ball heads were more desirable than pan heads? Of course the topic i was reading that in was about Monopods, not Tripods.

Anyway, i can remove the entire head of this tripod and mount it on the underside of the centerpole if i want to get REALLY close to the ground. Also it kind of reminds me of my dads old tripod that i remember him having when i was a child in the 80s with the cork covered quick release instead of your normal rubber nowdays.
I am no expert on tripods. However, with pan head, it has two handles and a knob. One handle adjusts the up/down, and one adjusts the horizon. If you loosen the knob , you can smoothly "pan" around, like when following a moving object.

With a ball head (I believe) if you loosen the head it can move in all directions. This might be handier for shooting flowers or something where you just want to change the angle.
11-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
I am no expert on tripods. However, with pan head, it has two handles and a knob. One handle adjusts the up/down, and one adjusts the horizon. If you loosen the knob , you can smoothly "pan" around, like when following a moving object.

With a ball head (I believe) if you loosen the head it can move in all directions. This might be handier for shooting flowers or something where you just want to change the angle.
you mean 2 knobs and 1 handle right? One handle to adjust the horizon/up-down tighten one knob to adjust one or the other.

11-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

you mean 2 knobs and 1 handle right? One handle to adjust the horizon/up-down tighten one knob to adjust one or the other.
I suppose heads can vary in design.

Most pan heads I have used are as above, except a small Velbon which has a knob in place of the horizon handle to change to portrait orientation - so yes, 2 knobs, 1 up/down handle.
11-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
hmmm, i updated the info in the main post, but it seems i cannot edit the topic title.