Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help in Choosing A ND Filter

I like taking long exposure pictures. I love the pictures I see of waves, waterfalls, and clouds using long exposures in the day. I understand I need a neutral density filter to do that. There is a .9 nd filter at B&H for $17. And there is a 1.8 nd filter at Tristate for $40. I'm not sure which I should get. I understand the first one takes away 3 stops and the other one takes away 6 stops of light. I also like taking pictures of lightning. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but a nd filter could be helpful to take lightning pictures during the day, right? I haven't had an opportunity yet to take pictures of these things yet with my new dslr, so I don't know what kind of exposure times to expect in sunlight, or cloudy days. That's making it harder to decide. Is the 1.8 nd even enough? If I had the money I would get a variable nd filter.

11-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, the very inexpensive ND filters tend to add a color cast instead of staying neutral. I don't know of anyplace that has reviews to help....maybe somebody else will jump in with a source. Of course if money is not an issue then you buy the good stuff to start with (not the $17).
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The $17 is made by Tiffen and the $40 one is made by B&W which I heard is the best.
11-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I just looked at your list of lenses so assume the ND you are looking for is a 52mm or a 49mm and not one of the large filters for UW lense or Cokin types you were looking for. Maybe the Tiffen is ok, I really don't know about the quality for small sizes. Certainly one nice thing about getting your stuff from B&H is their return policy if there is an issue.

11-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was probably going to get the 58mm size since I already have the right adapter rings. That's what I did for my polarizer filter anyway.
11-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

For that size I take back what I said and agree that the $17 solution sounds like a good match for your 2 DA lenses. The reviews for the Tiffen don't mention any colorcast so it sounds fine. The 2-stop version is usually recommended if you are only going to have a single ND filter.