Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

One strap to rule them all...

So does anyone have recommendations for a great camera strap? I have a few requirements.

Needs to be a shoulder/across the chest type strap
Cannot attach to the tripod screw (I use this way too often and want to be able to set the camera down and have it stay level)
Should support a K5 with grip and the Sigma 70-200 1:2.8
Ideally, it would be theft proof (i.e. a steel wire running through it since I will be using it to travel to areas where slash thefts are common)

So I'm open to ideas, anyone got 'em?

11-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The German made Sun-Sniper meets your requirements for steel anti-theft cable and across the chest. (it says "Home" but its Sun-Sniper.de)

Home

I use one and its well made and comfortable. Also comes in multi-camera configurations. However it normally screws into either the tripod mount on the camera or the lens. You would have to attach your own strap to the normal neck-strap loops and forgo the screw, or if your primary lens has a mount that rotates, screw into that with the mount rotated so the camera sits flat. I just tried it for fun and it seemed ok. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
11-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would recommend the Pentax denim strap - same functionality as the default strap , But much better style! You can only get it from Pentax Japan though, I think.
11-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
You would have to attach your own strap to the normal neck-strap loops and forgo the screw
Any suggestions on a tighter strap to use with this than the original? I really like the design of the Sun Sniper, I have been looking at it and the only thing I don't like is the tripod screw mount. I just think with the regular strap and that the camera would be pretty close to dragging on the ground.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would recommend the Pentax denim strap - same functionality as the default strap , But much better style! You can only get it from Pentax Japan though, I think.
Is this an across the chest type strap?

11-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

Take a look at "Upstrap". Primarily a shoulder strap (non tripod mount) but I find that it functions well bandolier (sp?) style. I am 6'7" tall and 275# and the Upstrap can still be adjusted so I can wear at hip height. Check out Camera Strap Professional Non Slip Camera Straps - UPstrap
11-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have heard the UPStrap can take a toll on shirts made of softer/lighter material since their grip is so good. Any experience with that?
11-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For an anti-slash strap I recommend the Pacsafe range -

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products

Good quality and prices.

11-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My favourite strap is the Kata reflex, because it sports pockets for spare memory cards, and I love that. It's Neoprene, so very comfortable. I'm not sure about anti-theft issues, but seriously, I've never, ever heard of anyone actually having their strap cut to steal the camera.
11-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've never, ever heard of anyone actually having their strap cut to steal the camera.
Right. They generally point the knife at you, not at your camera strap.
11-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Forum Member

one strap

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I have heard the UPStrap can take a toll on shirts made of softer/lighter material since their grip is so good. Any experience with that?
No experience with UPStrap wrecking shirts. I would, however, sacrifice, a shirt if it meant the strap/my camera is going to stay on my shoulder because the "grip is so good" (and it is very good
11-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The Sniper Straps appears to be functionally identical to the BlackRapid straps (except the BRs do not have the steel cable). I am currently using the DR-1 and it works well for carrying 2 cameras securely. It does share the Sniper Straps use of the tripod mount so you'd still have that issue to resolve.

Mike
11-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have one of these Op/Tech straps- an inexpensive alternative that works well.
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I have one of these Op/Tech straps- an inexpensive alternative that works well.
Yes, this sling uses QR connectors that attach to the camera lugs. There are two QR connectors, so you could attach one to a camera lug and the other to the grip on the same side of the camera. One nice thing about Op/Tech is that you can mix and match strap pads and adapters to quickly change or share straps among cameras, etc.
11-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That Kata looks interesting. The site says you can connect the strap to the pack to keep the weight off your neck, any idea how well that works?
11-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the double post, but how well does this work compared to Black Rapids, etc. It seems comparably cheap (which is both good and could be bad when hanging $3,000 worth of gear off it). Some reviews were saying the connectors get in the way of the viewfinder, any experiences?

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap

If this one gets the go-ahead from you guys, I'll likely buy it as it seems to be the setup I'm looking for without the use of the tripod mount.