Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Help with focusing K-m

Hi there,
Very new user, and new to SLRs (as I'm sure this question will make clear)

I got the K-m about a year ago, came with two zoom lenses which I had been using in AF almost exclusively. Picked up a 55mm 1.8 Super Takumar a couple of weeks ago and have had it out a few times, but am finding it extremely difficult to ensure I have proper focus, and although I'm sure the biggest thing I need is experience, I'm wondering what tools I should look at to help.
I'm shooting mostly pics of my kid, 2 years old, running around a lot, mostly outside, mostly head and shoulders/full body. The running around especially means that I have to get focus relatively quickly or not get the shot at all. So far I've found that about 50% are not within acceptable (to me) focus, another 25% are reasonable, but clearly out of focus when looking at the pic on computer screen, 15% appear in good focus until zoomed in on, and only about 10% are actually in proper focus (if i did my math right)
From reading the accessories section and googling around, it seems that the two big tools would be focusing screens and eyecup magnifiers. The magnifier seems obvious, and I think I might get the O-ME53. PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags
The only doubt I have about that is how much a 1.18 magnification would really help. doesn't sound like much.
The other option I guess is focusing screens, and this is where I'm a bit confused For one thing, I don't really understand how they work, but that's not nearly as important as whether they work. There is a whack of them Focusing Screens (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags and they seem very expensive for such a little thing, after getting the Takumar for $30. As well, none of the screens on the link above have K-m listed as a compatible body. . .

So, I'm sorry for being so long-winded, but I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I would like advice on:
-which is more important: screen of magnifier (or something else?)
-which screen is good for the type of photography I have described above?

Thank you in advance to any kind souls who can help!

11-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Manual focusing with moving kid is just plain difficult. Adding to the trouble, the K-m viewfinder is not that great for manual focus (compared to what we had 2 decades ago). The O-ME53 helps slightly, but really only slightly to be honest and may not solve your problem. A split image focusing screen is the best option for static subject, but none provided by Pentax. You may obtain one from third parties but may run into focus shift (I have no personal experience however). The way I see it, there are 2 ways to tackle the problem. You can either get a system which is great for AF tracking (like Canon or Nikon), or learn the limitation of Pentax and shoot what you can. I myself have photographed some kids and learn to capture them while they slowed down.
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the insight, Alan
Unfortunately my son is adamantly in the non-slowing down camp , and also hates getting his photo taken.
11-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can certainly understand the frustration. What I have found works best with kids is never asked them to pose. Just blend in with their activities and capture what you can. They would most likely to ignore the camera before long.