Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking for bag/lens case setup

I am needing some protective and functional gear for lugging around my photography gear. I will get a backpack at some stage in the future for carrying equipment when hiking but I just want something casual for now that doesn't have to carry everything. At a minimum I need to carry at any one time the following two zooms:
FA*80-200mm - 22cm long or 27cm mounted on camera
FA*28-70mm - 13cm long or 18cm mounted on camera.

I would like to get away with a bag no bigger than is necessary and am keen on the sling bag concept. I would also prefer something that does not scream "PHOTO GEEK" when being carried.

The 80-200 is the one giving me grief as it is so large. I have almost decided that I am going to have to get a bag for the camera and smaller lens and an additional lens case for the large one. Currently I have narrowed my selection down to a Crumpler Jimmy Bo or Company Gigolo and a lens case.

Any opinions or suggestions for a sling bag and/or lens case would be much appreciated. Comments (good or bad) by owners of Crumpler bags would also be great.

Cheers,
Sam

11-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep saying it in other posts but I think mountainsmith is a good choice. This one functions similar to a sling bag.

Mountainsmith
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not a sling, but you can consider Lowepro belt packs for day hikes:
Lowepro - Beltpacks

I have the OffTrail 2 and used it for day hikes and multi-day hikes:
Lowepro - Off Trail 2

The belt will interfere with the belt of normal backpacks, at least in my experience, and therefore it is less suited for multi-day hikes.

But for day-hikes where you just have to carry some water and snacks in a small day pack, it's very nice.

Edit:
It takes a Minolta X700 + 50mm + 28mm +70-210mm + 35-105mm + 2x TC; should not have a problem with your gear.

Last edited by sterretje; 11-28-2010 at 10:40 PM.
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys, great suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions for lens cases?

11-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The off-trails come with lens cases
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A bag that does not scream Expensive! Photogear! is the Think Tank Retrospective series.
I have a Lowepro Fastpack 350, which fits more and does function as a sling when you swing it round one shoulder, yet the Retrospective 20 remains my favourite. I have fitted extra padding in the bottom, though. That was easy enough.

Neither, unfortunately, has trappings for a tripod.
12-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Mountainsmith

Mountainsmith has lens cases and they say they have an attachment system that works with a lot of other bags.