Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

need recommendations for a bag

I'd like to find a sling pack that has a specific storage area that can hold a K100D and a zoom lens, as well as another section for a few non-camera related items, without getting something monstrous. Quick release on the strap would be helpful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

p.s. K100D came in today! I'm pretty pleased with the deal I got at Beach Camera and they delivered (with free shipping, I may add) much sooner than the 7-9 business days they claimed. It was actually 3 business days!

09-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got this bag as a gift:
Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Greenish Accent): Electronics

As long as you don't care about the Canon logo, it is a good pack (I'm assuming something closer to a backpack is as good as a sling. I just use one strap, so quick release on the strap doesn't seem to be an issue). It holds my *ist d, three lenses (not including the mounted one) odds and ends, two flashes and my photojournal. Still plenty of room for non-camera stuff left, too!
09-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 and I like it a lot. They run about a hundred or so but I can fit the 10D sideways w/grip with the Tamron 28-300mm mounted and also has room for my Pentax A 70-200, Sigma 50-500, Sigma 17-70, and Pentax FA 50mm. I can get a few filters in there, cable release and also one or two tripod mounts. I can also strap the tripod onto the backpack. Maybe more than you want, but it fits me well and there actually are bigger ones...
09-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiNoob Quote
I'm pretty pleased with the deal I got at Beach Camera and they delivered (with free shipping, I may add) much sooner than the 7-9 business days they claimed. It was actually 3 business days!
I always select free shipping with Beach (and their sister site buydig) and I always have my order within 1-2 business days, their fast shipping is one of the things I love about them.

09-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'd like to find a sling pack that has a specific storage area that can hold a K100D and a zoom lens, as well as another section for a few non-camera related items, without getting something monstrous. Quick release on the strap would be helpful.
The Lowepro SlingShot 200 has everything you want. I like the SlingShot bags better than the Tamrac bags suggested by another poster, but it is a personal matter as to what is the most comfortable for you. Here's a link for a description of the bag:

Lowepro - SlingShot 200 AW
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
The Lowepro SlingShot 200 has everything you want. I like the SlingShot bags better than the Tamrac bags suggested by another poster, but it is a personal matter as to what is the most comfortable for you. Here's a link for a description of the bag:

Lowepro - SlingShot 200 AW
That one actually looks pretty good. I think it could hold the K10 w/ the 50-500 attached....
09-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Not Registered

I have a Naneu Pro Alpha (backpack) and I absolutely love it. Only problem is to have a quick access to the camera but on the other side I strongly recomend it for traveling in big cities (specially if you are taking the subway, bus...) since the access to the equipment is facing your own back making it difficult to access to long-handed people (believe, Paris and Madrid has a ton of them)

You may also want to take a look to the photographer marketplace. Somebody is selling a Lowepro Slingshot 200 at a reasonable price.

09-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
You may also want to take a look to the photographer marketplace. Somebody is selling a Lowepro Slingshot 200 at a reasonable price.
Yeah, I saw that one. I kinda had my heart set on some sort of sling pack, but the ones I found were camera equipement only. I need one I can shove my autograph notebook in as I'll be using this pack for my sci-fi conventions.

I saw some nice Lowepro CompuDayPacks Lowepro - CompuDaypack that were ideal except they are a full backpack with two straps. It's got a bottom section for the camera equipement, and the top for various what-nots and a section for a laptop that can hold a small notebook.

Outside of getting that one and giving up on the "sling" option, I've considered taking some density foam and my dremmel tool and making my own camera section for my Eddie Bauer Sling Pack (or I could get this CompuDay pack and remove one strap, and relocate the bottom end of the other to criss-cross to convert it to a sling pack). Both sound like too much trouble if there's a product like that already out there!
09-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I have a Naneu Pro Alpha (backpack) and I absolutely love it. Only problem is to have a quick access to the camera but on the other side I strongly recomend it for traveling in big cities (specially if you are taking the subway, bus...) since the access to the equipment is facing your own back making it difficult to access to long-handed people (believe, Paris and Madrid has a ton of them)
i probably would've preferred this to the computrekker aw i got, as i don't reckon i will take a laptop with me whenever i travel now
but yeah, Unique Camera Cases - Camera Bags, Messenger Bags, Laptop Cases & More | NaneuPro.com also have a sling pack, the echo i think it is
which is pretty handy, and does provide a section for storing non-camera gear
it's camera compartment is smaller than the slingshot 200's though
Echo Messenger Bags - Camera Bags, Backpacks & Shoulder Bags For Amateur/Professional Photographers - Military Ops Series | NaneuPro.com

dave
09-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
i probably would've preferred this to the computrekker aw i got, as i don't reckon i will take a laptop with me whenever i travel now
but yeah, Unique Camera Cases - Camera Bags, Messenger Bags, Laptop Cases & More | NaneuPro.com also have a sling pack, the echo i think it is
which is pretty handy, and does provide a section for storing non-camera gear
it's camera compartment is smaller than the slingshot 200's though
Echo Messenger Bags - Camera Bags, Backpacks & Shoulder Bags For Amateur/Professional Photographers - Military Ops Series | NaneuPro.com

dave
BINGO! This 'Echo' is exactly what I had in mind! And at a retail price of about $65US, not a bad price, either! I've saved their website in my Favorite Places and will probably be purchasing it soon. I'll give a review when I've had the chance to look it over!

Thanks, Dave!

[edit] Hey! Their Bravo bag is a larger and nice two-strap option with a tri-pod strap system! (Military Ops - Bravo - Naneu Pro | Camera Bag & Laptop Case Solutions)

Last edited by DigiNoob; 09-27-2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: found another product to add!
09-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #11
Not Registered

BINGO! This 'Echo' is exactly what I had in mind! And at a retail price of about $65US, not a bad price, either! I've saved their website in my Favorite Places and will probably be purchasing it soon. I'll give a review when I've had the chance to look it over!

Thanks, Dave!
Looks like a good decision, for what I've read and my own experience, the quality of the naneu pros is really good (at least the alpha that I have). I am looking forward for that review if you finally buy it.

Good Luck
09-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK... I don't mean to dominate this thread, despite my starting it, but as I looked further at the Naneu Pro line, I found some more impressive options!

The Naneu Pro Sierra (and the larger Tango) are messenger type bags that not only holds DSLRs but also hold laptops, magazines (and my autograph notebook!) and looks like a soft-side briefcase. HOWEVER, one great feature of this messenger bag is that it has a shoulder strap that can be tucked away or pulled out to use like a sling pack! This thing is totally awesome looking and the versatility of using as a briefcase or a sling pack makes this a top runner, in my opinion! The reviews I have read on Naneu bags were nearly all positive as well!

Check this one out as well as it's larger brother, the Tango! Sierra Messenger Bag - Modern Messenger Bags & Laptop Computer Bags for Traveling Professionals - Military Ops Series | NaneuPro.com

Boy, talk about making a decision tough! I'll be getting one of the Nanea Pros, just deciding which one is going to be tough! Toss up between the Sierra and the Echo!
09-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #13

Boy, talk about making a decision tough! I'll be getting one of the Nanea Pros, just deciding which one is going to be tough! Toss up between the Sierra and the Echo!
hehe, they do look pretty cool, i didn't realise those messenger types had a sling option
but the sierra seems a bit small if you want to carry a laptop, a 12" laptop seems kinda 1990's

i don't think you can go wrong with any of them, as long as you pick the one that suits what you need it for

dave
09-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
jro

Do you want the sling pack for storing your camera stuff all the time, or just for when you'll be shooting? I have a bag that I keep my stuff in normally, a bag I use for travel, and a bag I use for shooting. That's probably excessive, but it's good to have the right bag for the right purpose.

My shooting bag is a Tamrac Velocity 7 sling pack. It holds a nice compliment of lenses (18-50 kit, 50-200 zoom, 50 1.4, 10-17 FE) and my K100D. There's a small compartment that could hold something notebook sized but not much more. The Velocity 8 is larger, but I found it too large.

If there's any sort of big camera store near you, it might be worth a trip to check out your options.
09-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
limited availability of Naneu Pro Echo...

Naneu Pro is currently not producing the Echo sling-bag as they are reengineering the strap (lengthening for larger frame users) and upgrading the nylon material from about 900mil to 1600mil (according to a rep at Nanea). They expect the newer version to be offered about mid-December but will probably raise the sugg. retail from $65 to $70-75.

I'm a bit into instant gratification, however, and found that Cord Camera (Cord Camera) still has some available and got it for a very reasonable $50 with free shipping! Never dealt with Cord before but they got a 10 out of 10 on 'reseller ratings' and they were very cordial and helpful when I called to confirm they actually do have some in stock!

Anyway, I ordered one and thought I'd share this info in case anyone else following the thread was considering this as an option. I went ahead and ordered one today and will give my review of this bag once received.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedback!