Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Regular boom stand or C stand w/ boom?

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question! I am currently using a 28" Apollo softbox with a speedlight. I want to use a boom so I can shoot under the light. I am outgrowing my speedlights & want to get a PCB Einstein sometime in the future. I was looking at either:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546705-REG/Manfrotto_420B_420B_Combi_Boom_Stand.html

or a C stand w/ boom:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569965-REG/Interfit_INT308_Century_C_Stand_with.html

I was hoping to get a stand a/ a boom that I could "grow into" with some strobes and larger modifiers. I know the C stand would be very sturdy with a couple of sandbags on it but I also like the looks of the Manfrotto stand.

Any thoughts or opinions from anyone who has used either or both to help me decide between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

George

Last edited by gsrokmix; 12-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.
11-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've used C stands w/o sandbags and they're still sturdy. Haven't used the combi boom you listed though.
Either will probably be plenty strong for a 28" Apollo.
12-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Subscribing! I have the same softbox and I also have the need for more flexibility with the C-stand.

Any more inputs?!

And btw, where in CT are you located George?
12-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The links weren't working for some reason but I re-posted & they are ok now. BBear I'm about 20 minutes west of Hartford.

George

12-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi George,

The links are working, but i cant help with any useful feedback: I now I also need a setup with either stand but not sure which is better.

And I am located in Stamford, you should show up at our next photo meeting.

BB