Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lighting with AF-540s, PocketWizard & Sekonic L-358

I'd like to be able to trigger my camera and flash units from a Sekonic L-358 light meter. I'm using the light meter with a K10D, two AF-540 FGZ flashes, two PocketWizard Plus II's, and one PocketWizard Multimax.

If I understand correctly, I need to get a cable that runs from the camera motor drive to one of the PocketWizard units. PocketWizard does not manufacture for Pentax. They recommended that I get a custom cable from Paramountcords.com. In order to do so, I need to provide them with a description of the required plugs. In searching my K10D owner's manual I don't find any descriptions to the plug that goes into the cable switch terminal, which would seem to be the logical choice for this connection.

Is there anyone who has successfully done what I'm attempting? If so, can you give me a technical description of the required plug? If not, is there an alternative approach?

Cheers,
Garth

12-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the Pocket Wizards use a standard 1/8" connector. You simply need a generic hotshoe mount for the camera that has an outgoing 1/8" plug to go into the Pocket Wizard.
Sadly, the Pentax flash has no socket so you have to get another hotshoe adaptor to stick the flash onto. This would also have a 1/8" plug to go int the receiver PocketWizard.

Each hotshoe adaptor with 1/8 cable plug should run between $10 and $20 a piece. (no need for the five pin Pentax hotshoe adaptor, which will not have what you want and are very costly!)

I don't use pocketWizards, but Elinchrom Skyports. Same basic principal applies!
12-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

FYI, something like this... although I have seen them cheaper.

This is what you need for the flash. You'll need something similar for on top of the camera.

Impact Mini Phono Plug to Female Hot Shoe Cord 8091020 B&H Photo
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll give these a try.

I like very much your Washington Monument Sunrise. You captured an extraordinary moment, I'm sure I don't need to tell you.

Cheers,
mawsonii

12-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks! I liked the look when I was at that spot but as I thought about it later, that particular angle probably doesn't occur very often throughout the year.
12-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
per your recommendation I ordered the miniphon-hot shoe (IMMHSF1PW). I received the package today from B&H only to discover that this model has a 3.5mm plug. I'm waiting for a call now from customer service to arrange for a return and exchange. I'll let you know whether they have a 1/8 unit. Hopefully, this is just a momentary setback.

Cheers,
G
12-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That Blows! The image and description indicate the mini phono plug which should have been 1/8". Even specifying that it fits PocketWizard seems to support that... If it does not fit your pocketwizard, I suspect it is packaged wrong.

Still, 3.5mm should be pretty darned close to 1/8" (1.25" vs 1.3"), and I have seen both measurements used interchangeably. (right or wrong I don't know, I've just seen both used to describe the same item at times)

12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I'm SOOL on a solution to my problem. I spent the last half hour talking to Jacob, a customer service rep at B&H. He went to extraordinary lengths trying to help me find a substitute.

First thing I learned is that the K10D does not have a 1/8-in (3.5mm) jack for remotely triggering the camera from a wired connection; it has a mini-jack (aka headphone jack). Jacob had his doubts about whether this could be used coming off a hot shoe attached to a PocketWizard Plus II. He referred to his experience with Canon and Nikon where those units have a multi-pin jack connected to the motor drive. He suggested I consider a PocketWizard pre-trigger cable with a mini-jack (product number WICCRRMD). The $99 price tag is a considerable disincentive at the moment. Also, apparently, it's just the cable; no hot shoe attached. Not helpful.

Nonetheless, I have uncovered the key information I was looking for to begin with: the jack size. Now, I can look into having a custom hot shoe connection fabricated by Paramountcords.

I'll let you know how that works out.

Cheers,
G
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

AH! Yeah, if you want to trigger the camera, I am not sure how that would work. I have read that some Canon triggers use the same plug configuration. Don't know which one(s). I believe they have several types.
Sorry, I was only thinking about ho to fire the flash from the PW.

$99 is outrageous for less than $1 in parts!
12-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, the RF602 wireless trigger shipped w/ a Canon connector when they sold it for Pentax, so the camera connector apparently is the same. If you can find a local dealer, borrow a pocket wizard receiver to Canon shutter release cable and test it.

Why do you have to trigger from the lightmeter? What I do w/ my RP JrX's is hold the meter and put it in flash mode, then press the transmitter's test button while it's mounted on the camera...
12-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
RP JrX? Sorry, I'm technically challenged. Not sure what that means.

My objective is to save steps by triggering both the flashes and the camera remotely during my set-up process using the Sekonic L-358. Would also be useful if I happen to be the subject.

I went ahead and called Paramount Cords and spoke to John, who was very helpful. We worked out the following configuration:

Choose Left Tip/Plug : Tip#19 Hot Shoe Male $17.00
Choose Right Tip/Plug : Tip#29 Microsync 2.5 mm $18.00
Choose Cord : 12 inches straight $1.00
--------------------------
Order Total : $36.00
Shipping : $6.75
Grand Total : $42.75

At $43, I can afford to experiment. FYI, John told me that 3.5mm (1/8-in) jacks are called minis; 2.5 jacks are called sub-minis.

I let y'all know how it goes.

Cheers,
G
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #12

So does it work?
Haven't yet decided if i should only buy the sekonic or in addition the pocketwizard and sender module..
03-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The Pentax wired remote input is a 2.5mm stereo connector - it is *exactly* identical to the connector used by Canon Rebel series cameras.

Note that higher-end Canons use a different cable release connector that is not compatible.