Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX Waterproof Remote Control O-RC1 vs. Remote Control F

Is there any GOOD reason to opt for the model O-RC1, except for the "waterproof" claim, vs. the simple F type?

Does it do anything more than the F remote can't? Does it have better/longer reach?

Just curious and of course, I would assume the waterproofing would be a good reason to get it but that' sbesides my question.

Anyone?

JP

12-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
My model F I picked up for my K20D has gotten a little wet a few times and still worked. I've opened my remote and the weakest points for water is the opening for the IR-emitter and the perimeter around the two halves of the shell. The button is a snug fitted rubber piece. If you have a steady hand, you could mod the model F with a gasket goo to water proof it. Looking at it, I think thats going to be my project.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 12-07-2010 at 02:24 PM.
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
My model F I picked up for my K20D has gotten a little wet a few times and still worked. I've opened my remote and the weakest points for water is the opening for the IR-emitter and the perimeter around the two halves of the shell. The button is a snug fitted rubber piece. If you have a steady hand, you could mod the model F with a gasket goo to water proof it. Looking at it, I think thats going to be my project.
I might as well keep the old F remote then ... keeps on going, and going ....
Just wondered if this other remote does anything more than the F remote can't?

JP
12-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think the waterproofed remote control, except for being waterproofed, does anything better than the F remote control.

In fact, I don't think it (and its brother F) does anything better than the $3.27 remote control from Deal Extreme.

The last time I checked, the waterproofed remote was about $30. At that price, I'd buy 8 cheapo remote controls instead and just toss one if it goes bad, or even when it runs out of battery.

12-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I don't think the waterproofed remote control, except for being waterproofed, does anything better than the F remote control.

In fact, I don't think it (and its brother F) does anything better than the $3.27 remote control from Deal Extreme.

The last time I checked, the waterproofed remote was about $30. At that price, I'd buy 8 cheapo remote controls instead and just toss one if it goes bad, or even when it runs out of battery.
Good idea!

And since it works on nearly all "late" cameras (I used this the first time on my film MZ6 !), might as well get a few !

Cheers!

JP
04-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just stumbled on this old thread, and figured I might as well correct the info here. The Remote Control WP *does* have a capability not available in the Remote Control F, but only if you're shooting with the latest generation Pentax DSLRs. (Or at least, the K-5 -- I've not checked the manual for the K-r, but I can confirm the K-7 doesn't allow the new feature).

Unlike the Remote Control F, the Remote Control WP has three buttons, and *two* of these work with the Pentax K-5. As well as using the shutter button, you can also press the zoom button to perform an AF operation without tripping the shutter. Handy feature to have.

Personally, I own both remotes, and think each is well suited to different purposes -- the 'F' is ideal when I want the smallest possible remote, as it slips in my wallet and I can't even notice it's in there. The 'WP' is a little over double the size, but it's ideal when I might be shooting in the rain, or want to be able to separate autofocus and shutter operation. I've not tried this myself, but I've also read subjective comments from other owners that it has a little better range.

As I said, though, note that the K-7 doesn't allow use of the zoom button to focus, and I'm fairly sure the K-x won't either. Somebody might want to check the manual for the K-r; being fdrom the same model year as the K-5, it may well support the feature too.
04-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Just stumbled on this old thread, and figured I might as well correct the info here. The Remote Control WP *does* have a capability not available in the Remote Control F, but only if you're shooting with the latest generation Pentax DSLRs. (Or at least, the K-5 -- I've not checked the manual for the K-r, but I can confirm the K-7 doesn't allow the new feature).

Unlike the Remote Control F, the Remote Control WP has three buttons, and *two* of these work with the Pentax K-5. As well as using the shutter button, you can also press the zoom button to perform an AF operation without tripping the shutter. Handy feature to have.

Personally, I own both remotes, and think each is well suited to different purposes -- the 'F' is ideal when I want the smallest possible remote, as it slips in my wallet and I can't even notice it's in there. The 'WP' is a little over double the size, but it's ideal when I might be shooting in the rain, or want to be able to separate autofocus and shutter operation. I've not tried this myself, but I've also read subjective comments from other owners that it has a little better range.

As I said, though, note that the K-7 doesn't allow use of the zoom button to focus, and I'm fairly sure the K-x won't either. Somebody might want to check the manual for the K-r; being fdrom the same model year as the K-5, it may well support the feature too.
Thanks!

I though this thread was long gone!
I think i just might get one of those (not so expensive after all) WP remote.

I appreciate the reply!

JP
01-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great info. Just ordered from B&H to use with my K5.

12-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

hi guys,
does de o-rc1 works from a longer distance than " F" ?? and can i change the bateries on both of them?
those two are my only reasons for choosing one or the other..
thank you!