Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stand alone autofocus assist light?

Hello!

I have a K100D and a thyristor flash which I like but focusing in dark areas is a pain. Is there a stand alone focus assist light that can be attached to the camera?

09-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #2

I do not know...

...anything about the flash that you have but I use the focus assist light of my 360fgz in low light conditions. Most of the time I use the flash as well but it is possible to set the flash to focus assist only, which is far better than the focus assist of the built in camera flash.

Maybe you allready knew this, which makes my comment a bit obvious, but this is what I use for focus assist.

/B
09-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benny Quote
...anything about the flash that you have but I use the focus assist light of my 360fgz in low light conditions. Most of the time I use the flash as well but it is possible to set the flash to focus assist only, which is far better than the focus assist of the built in camera flash.

Maybe you allready knew this, which makes my comment a bit obvious, but this is what I use for focus assist.

/B
The hotshoe flash I have doesn't have a focus assist light. I'm either going to buy a new flash with focus assist light or. if there's any, buy just the focus assist light.
09-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's nothing special about the auto focus lamp, it's just light to help the camera see. So unless you absolutely need it to auto trigger (which can be important to certain situations). Taking a standard mag light and light up the area you wish to focus will do the same thing.

09-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flashlight pointed at subject.
09-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
There's nothing special about the auto focus lamp, it's just light to help the camera see. So unless you absolutely need it to auto trigger (which can be important to certain situations). Taking a standard mag light and light up the area you wish to focus will do the same thing.
QuoteQuote:
Flashlight pointed at subject.
Keeping a light pointed constantly at someone would be really annoying.

Which pin of the hot shoe provides the info on when the af assist light has to come on? Maybe I can custom incorporate a led into my flash.
09-29-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been thinking about getting one of those little laser pointers and mounting it somehow. Probably wouldn't be that useful for auto-focus, but I don't use auto-focus anyway.

The assist light on the Sigma flash does a great job on auto-focus even in pitch-black situations.