Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DIY Grid Snoot

For the last three years or so I've been enjoying off-camera flash from time-to-time and for all that time my choices have been either bare flash or a 45" two-way umbrella. I've come across several situations where I wished that I had a much smaller umbrella or perhaps some snoots. So last night I broke down and made myself a snoot for one of my flashes.

I got a big sheet (60x90cm) of 5mm thick polystyrene ($3) together with some appropriate glue ($1), black tape ($1), and a package of black plastic drinking straws ($1). I made one snoot and have enough material left over for probably four more, except for the straws.

It was really very easy to make. After measuring I just laid out the lines and cut halfway through the board to allow for it to bend neatly without snapping. To strengthen the thing I decided to let the side where the two ends meet be double thick. I almost forgot to allow an extra 5mm on one of the long sides so that it would fold down without throwing the angles off.

Then it was just a matter of gluing together the doubled side, reinforcing the corners with tape, and cutting the straws to the desired length (10cm) and jamming them into the end of the snoot until they stopped falling out.

Pretty simple and more sturdy than I thought it would be. The first thing I did when I went out to test it today was to forget it on the top of my car and drive off, slinging it to the pavement. Fortunately, nobody ran over it before I was able to backtrack and find it. As it turned out, the 10cm straws cast a very tight spotlight and I will probably make another one with 5cm straws and perhaps one plain snoot.

iPhone 3GS

Pentax K20D
Auto-Takumar 55/2

12-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Do you have a picture of the front of the grid snoot? I am not sure to understand it all.
12-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the purpose of the snoot (great word that..."I don't give a snoot!" ) is to contain the flash so that it gives a small circle of light? Does that increase the output? As in concentrating it?
Nice looking bit of kit. Most flash DYI's Ive seen look very much DYI. This one doesn't

NaCl(thanks, allways good to see good looking and easy DYI stuff)H2O
12-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting, I'd like to see some pictures of the front as well.

12-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
So the purpose of the snoot (great word that..."I don't give a snoot!" ) is to contain the flash so that it gives a small circle of light? Does that increase the output? As in concentrating it?
Nice looking bit of kit. Most flash DYI's Ive seen look very much DYI. This one doesn't

NaCl(thanks, allways good to see good looking and easy DYI stuff)H2O
It doesn't concentrate it, it modifies the output of the flash.

There are two components here. The grid and the snoot.

A snoot will restrict the light to whatever shape the front opening is.

The grid causes all the light to come out roughly parallel to each other (not exactly, but it's close enough). That is what gives the fast and even falloff as you move away from the center of the beam.
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Detailed instructions on how to build one out of straws:

Lighting Mods: DIY: Black Straws Snoot Grid (Part 1)

In action:

Lighting Mods: DIY: Black Straws Snoot Grid (Part 2)

Where I found the link to the above, also has links to non-straw versions:

Strobist: More Cheap and Easy Grid Spots

I've made a couple of the cardboard versions:

Strobist: Free and So Easy: DIY Grid Spots for Your Flash

I mostly use it for a splash of controlled light on the background for pictures of small things.
12-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks Mike, I plan on making a snoot or two soon & the straws hadnīt occurred to me. I plan to use thick blavk material & rig some kind of velcro strapping though, as I want them to be able to fold fairly flat for transport when necessary.