Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EF-610 DG ST

I'm looking to upgrade my flash for my K-x, and may be getting a K5 at some point in the not-so-distant future. My current flash is ancient, a manual AF200 that I used to use with a ME Super ages ago. It works, but it doesn't swivel or bounce and is fully manual. I hope to use this old one off-camera with triggers after getting a new one.

This Sigma, which looks to be a new model is pretty inexpensive compared to the competition, can bounce and swivel, supports P-TTL, and looks like it would suit my needs on paper.

One other issue is it says it can go as wide as 24mm but I may want to shoot with a 15mm with it too. What should I expect? Dark edges? I use my current dinosaur flash with the da15 and results are usually alright if I got the power right.

But I also understand you often get what you pay for. So for general (parties, events, portraits, macro, kids, etc) use, is this a decent flash? Anyone got one?
Adorama has them for $165 which seems awfully cheap so I'm a little suspicious.

Thanks!

12-27-2010, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Note that this flash does not have auto mode (does not have its own light sensor). Among other things, that means you have to use full manual flash mode for manual lenses.

It may or may not matter to many folks, but I wouldn't buy a flash without auto mode.
12-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good to know. Thanks for the info!
12-29-2010, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for the Sigma Super, not Standard. The Super versions do have pentax wireless build in, and allow fine control of power output, and other features. If 610 is too expensive, go for 530 Super. Standard version is so handicaped.

12-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like the 610 Super isn't available yet. I may just wait a bit. Thanks for the info!
08-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi,
I am looking to buy the Sigma 610 DG ST flash for my K-x. Can somebody please help me with information on where in Toronto can I buy it?
08-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The 610, St or Super, will suit your needs fine. Many people say you should go for the Super, but if money is an issue, the ST will still serve you well.

for wider than 24mm, the flash has a wide diffuser built-in, which will cover up to 17mm. You'll get dark edges with direct illumination if you use a wider lens, no problems if you bounce or swivel.

08-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The 610, St or Super, will suit your needs fine. Many people say you should go for the Super, but if money is an issue, the ST will still serve you well.
The biggest drawback of the non-super is the lack of HSS. For about 50-60$ more you can have a much better flash. It's not money saving if you have to re-buy a flash later when you need the missing features.

For the best flash info you ought to visit The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison with a nice table of flash features

The Metz 50 AF-1 may be the best value, has all the features needed and even has an USB update port in case there would be incompatibilities with newer bodies (I had this issue with a Sigma flash, had to send it for update and cost me almost 100$).

Or get an used Sigma 500 or 530 Super, although you have to be careful with the 500 because it needs to have its chip updated for wireless compatibility.

The Pentax AF-360FGZ is not that expensive and will have less compatibility issues.
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The biggest drawback of the non-super is the lack of HSS. For about 50-60$ more you can have a much better flash. It's not money saving if you have to re-buy a flash later when you need the missing features.
I agree, but my point is that your "if" is an "if". For many people, nothing more will ever be needed. For instance, I'm upgrading from the AF280T to the 530 ST, and I'm perfectly happy (or will be, when my new flash is repaired... under warranty at least).
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I agree, but my point is that your "if" is an "if". For many people, nothing more will ever be needed. For instance, I'm upgrading from the AF280T to the 530 ST, and I'm perfectly happy (or will be, when my new flash is repaired... under warranty at least).
I too have a 530ST and it suits my needs perfectly.
09-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Where in Toronto can I buy Sigma 610 flash for pentax? I have been looking around stores in Toronto, however nobody stocks the Sigma ones for Pentax
09-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Henrys, Vistek should carry the flash. You could also ask a store to order it for you.