Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
When I had a similar flash back in the day, I used to rotate the head 180% backwards, and I had this great inflatable bounce thingie that I can't seem to find anywhere.
I'm not sure if this is the "thingie" that Ira is referring to, but it is definately my favorite flash modifier.
XTOCLRGII Photoflex On Camera XTC II, Large 2.25" x 4" (5.7 x 10.2cm) Softbox.

01-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If, as Dave mentions, you are shooting indoors with normal height ceilings you can do fine with no flash attachments at all....just aim the flash at the ceiling.
I don't know why, but this doesn't work for me. I use a Sigma 530 Super and K20D. If I aim the bare flash at the ceiling, I get inconsistent underexposure. For proper exposure when I bounce, I either need to use the Omni-bounce, or else the wide-angle diffuser that's built-in to the flash.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-02-2012 at 05:45 AM.
01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Somehow I have a Sto-fen Omni-bounce for each of the flash I own. But I found my DIY diffusers are easier to use and better.

The material is "perforated plastic canvas" available from crafts store. My Micheal's has them for 47 cents a piece. They come in different mess sizes and colors. I use clear, 10 mess (10 holes per inch):

01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I bought one of these from Adorama for $11.95: RS3500 Adorama Mini Soft Box Diffuser for Shoe Mount Flashes. It folds flat and is very small. I don't use it very often because I usually have an assistant holding a reflector or two for bouncing remote-triggered flashes. But it does help if no assistant is available.

You may want to consider buying a reflector to bounce your flash off. Here's what I use: PR42SG Flashpoint 42" Circular Collapsible Disc Reflector, Silver / Soft Gold

01-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If, as Dave mentions, you are shooting indoors with normal height ceilings you can do fine with no flash attachments at all....just aim the flash at the ceiling. By way of example, here are some shots I recently did in just that way. I think they came out just fine (except for one shot in a hallway). A few show vignette, but I added that in PP.

Mike, while I agree with you on the technique bouncing off the ceiling, I do find that adding the omni diffuser gives additional advantage of flash coming from the front as well. Therefore, for a small price, it is worth it (for me anyway). BTW, very nice shots and series.
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #21

I made an Omnibounce-clone by cutting the top off of an isopropyl alcohol bottle. It's an opaque white, just the right size for my flash head, and secures easily with some tape. And it was free.

The real omnibounce does give you the advantage of a nicely finished, professional look to your gear, which can be important if you're making money off your photos.
09-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #22

I find that other than eating away 1 - 2 stops and making it more difficult to assess the exposure (flash to subject distance) on my metz 58, af2, it adds no real improvement in quality over the built in diffuser. Others may disagree, but that is what I have found in my very little experience.

09-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nu12ul Quote
I find that other than eating away 1 - 2 stops and making it more difficult to assess the exposure (flash to subject distance) on my metz 58, af2, it adds no real improvement in quality over the built in diffuser. Others may disagree, but that is what I have found in my very little experience.
My testing showed glare was reduced with the Omni-bounce vs the built-in diffuser on my Sigma 530, though the drop-down diffuser was softer than bare flash.
09-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've tried a few things (A Fong Puffer, Lumiquest Midi-bouncer type thing, some DIY experiments) and so far my favorite portable flash modifier is this:

NEW FOTODIOX 6"x8" CAMERA FLASH SOFTBOX 10SBX-6x8 | eBay

The softbox makes the light source bigger, which is always a good thing. I did some kid pics a few days ago in the park, and I had the mom handhold a radio triggered Sunpak 422D with the softbox attached. It was my only artificial light source. (K-x, DA-L 55-300) Here are a couple of examples:

My absolute favorite is a white shoot-through umbrella, but sometimes those aren't practical to use.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 09-03-2012 at 05:40 AM.
09-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #25

Has anyone used a wing light? The youtube video demos make it look good but wanted some comments from independent sources
09-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

It's funny, you see many people use a Stofen, but I never understood the theory of why they should work. For direct flash, they don't make the light source bigger, so I don't get it. The DIY foamie at least makes it a little bigger. For bounced flash, I would prefer to control where the bounce comes from, and not scatter it, so I don't see the benefit.

I went through many diffuser projects years back. Bounced flash is always better. If you have nothing to bounce off of, and can't get the flash off camera, than the simple foamie was the best solution. I made many attempts to modify that even further, but there is just not enough difference. It's simply about the direction of the light, and the size of the light source relative to your subject.
09-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the bottom line is the bigger the light source is = the softer the shadows.

the Sto-fen is an excellent tool for reducing the harshness of flash photographs - and with my AF540FGZ I keep it on all the time, I recommend it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
For direct flash, they don't make the light source bigger, so I don't get it.
It is a subtle effect but I can spot it, Sto-fen diffusers are really handy when bounce flash illumination is simply not-an-option e.g outdoors
09-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I agree with Digitalis. Any time I've tested direct flash vs drop-down diffuser vs Omnibounce, the softening effect of the Omnibounce was evident. Bare flash straight on is too hot.
09-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've tried just about every flash modifier out there, mostly the original commercial versions (or a very close knockoff) and DIY versions. I'm not an Omnibounce fan. You have to get the right size, and the compatibility tables always seemed to leave out the flash guns I happened to have, it's bulky for what it does, and expensive for what it is. The Chinese knock offs are less expensive, but no more effective. It's a good start, but there are a lot of new modifiers that are a lot better. SOldBear's DIY looks like much better alternative from a number of standpoints.

My personal favorite modifier is the Demb Flip-it with the now accessory diffuser (when I bought mine, the current "Photojournalist" version with the diffuser was the only way it came). All of the others, including some I purchased or made after getting the Demb, are currently sitting in a drawer

Demb Flash Products - Flip-it! the variable-angle flash reflector

The smaller sizes fold almost flat and can easily be carried in a pocket, they fit any sized flash, and the bounce card is easily adjustable for angle to give you different ratios between overhead bounce and direct bounce. With a tilt/swivel head, it gives essentially the same lighting capability in either landscape or portrait orientation with the flash in the camera's hotshoe.

BTW, I recently bought one of his Popup Flip-its, and it's easily the best pop up flash modifier I've used, and I always carry it in a pocket. It also gives you infinitely adjustable ratios between overhead bounce and direct bounce, but only in landscape mode. In portrait, you can get a directional bounce indoors if you've got a direct line to an uncluttered wall though. . . and using full direct bounce, it's good (and very convenient) for a soft fill light source.

Demb Flash Products - Demb Pop-up Flip-it! Flash Reflector

Scott
09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I'm not an Omnibounce fan. You have to get the right size, and the compatibility tables always seemed to leave out the flash guns I happened to have, it's bulky for what it does, and expensive for what it is.
Bulky? Are you sure you are talking about the Omnibounce?