Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Sto-Fen Omnibounce: Are they worth it?

Last edited by a.seki; 08-20-2011 at 06:17 PM.
12-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

absolutely worth it.
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would do a diy, take a look at the difference in the shots you get with the diffuser vs, hard light... I don't think it's worth it... find a milk bottle and put some velcro on it, and then put some velcro around your flash... it makes the same light for a lot cheaper.
12-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I personally don't think it's worth it...

12-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love mine, definitely worthwhile to me.
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It is one of the few accessories that I've used the most. I'm not a very good flash photographer, but I'd say that the omnibounce has helped me beyond any other accessory by leaps and bounds. It softens the harsh light perfectly. Now, I was too lazy to make my own, but I've seen some very creative DIY versions, that likely work just as well to soften the light. Whatever you do, soften that harsh flash light and you should see immediate improvement in flash photos.
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They work great. As water bowls for parakeets and other small mammals. Check this:

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

I don't know anything about Pentax flashes, but when I used to use Nikon flashes, I never could see a difference between the Stofen, the stock diffuser, the Fong salad bowl, and, believe it or not, the bare flash, provided I wasn't overfilling. So I stopped using diffusers altogether. But if I WAS going to use one, Chuck's DIY is awesome, cheap, very packable, and easily replaceable.

12-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just found a similar item for my YN-560 flash for US$ 1.50 on Ebay. At that price I guess it is worth a try :-)
12-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm trying to come up with an idea for a DYI diffuser, no bounce, for my SunPak 555.

When I had a similar flash back in the day, I used to rotate the head 180% backwards, and I had this great inflatable bounce thingie that I can't seem to find anywhere.
12-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
They work great. As water bowls for parakeets and other small mammals. Check this:

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

I don't know anything about Pentax flashes, but when I used to use Nikon flashes, I never could see a difference between the Stofen, the stock diffuser, the Fong salad bowl, and, believe it or not, the bare flash, provided I wasn't overfilling. So I stopped using diffusers altogether. But if I WAS going to use one, Chuck's DIY is awesome, cheap, very packable, and easily replaceable.
I'm with you Todd
I've used the salad bowl just a giant PITA, I just build my own, but really the one flash accessory i do use is gels to balance the lights to the same value (if i'm using flash there is probably tungsten or florescent somewhere in the shot) otherwise it's homemade cards just taped on for bounce purposes when needed
(dead cheap easy and can usually be mcgivered on the spot if you didn't bring one with you- I used aq bit of wine case the other week held on with duct tape which i did have with me- it's the Canadian in me search red green )
12-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #11

I made one of the DIY difussers that Todd mentioned. It works great and only cost 2.47 for materials purchased @ Michaels Craft store. The sheets of fun foam were 12x18 which made two units. I glue I used didn't hold as well as I had hoped, so I added staples around the perimeter. Fun project with great results.

Mike
12-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
I made one of the DIY difussers that Todd mentioned. It works great and only cost 2.47 for materials purchased @ Michaels Craft store. The sheets of fun foam were 12x18 which made two units. I glue I used didn't hold as well as I had hoped, so I added staples around the perimeter. Fun project with great results.

Mike
Cool. I bought all the materials once, but never made one.

Anyway, I never use flash anymore.
12-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by a.seki Quote
Hi,

Since i purchased a new flash, im looking into getting different light modifiers for it. I have since made a DIY speedstrap and bounce card.

Upon searching online, i found these Sto-Fen Omnibounce Diffusers (25 EUR/32 USD) at my local camera store and alternative/similar products such as this: Fotozaak - Foto Rembrandt Maastricht - Winkel - Metz FC-@6L Soft Diffusor kopen (in Dutch).

Question is, are these products worth it? Or should i go for DIY alternatives (please give some recommendations)?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!
Are we talking the same thing I see on Amazon.com for $10? Is it really triple that over there?
12-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a.seki Quote
Question is, are these products worth it? Or should i go for DIY alternatives (please give some recommendations)?
Sure, if you are shooting indoors with normal height ceiling and relatively close walls. The whole point of the attachment is to simulate a bare bulb and bounce light off of every nearby surface.

That is what makes the light very soft, having it come from the walls and ceiling. If you shoot with the flash pointed directly at the subject, with nothing to bounce off, it won't be any better than a flash with nothing on it, except that the attachment is going to eat 1-2 stops of light.

Using it outdoors doesn't do anything for you unless you are using the flash to trigger other flashes wirelessly/optically.
12-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If, as Dave mentions, you are shooting indoors with normal height ceilings you can do fine with no flash attachments at all....just aim the flash at the ceiling. By way of example, here are some shots I recently did in just that way. I think they came out just fine (except for one shot in a hallway). A few show vignette, but I added that in PP.