Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Recommend a bag (adventure/hiking/camping/backpacking bag). Pentax K-x

OK, I'm looking for a bag again. I have a Pentax K-x with twin lens kit (18-55, 55-300). I have a lot of filters, cleaning gear etc. Assume only basics required for that day would be needed.

* It's really got to be suitable for at least the 18-55 kit lens (fitted).
* Some room for an extra lens or two (at most) would be good.
* Some room for accessories - Basic cleaning kit, filter or two, small bendy style tripod, intervalometer etc. Preferably in a different, zipped up section of the bag.

That's the camera section of the bag.

I'd then need a completely separate section with extra storage for other items -
* Wallet, phone, keys, maps etc. Basic items only. Nothing massive needed.
* Water - A Camelbak style bladder system would prove to be very useful. Not necessarily a requirement, but definably a plus depending on price.

The bag will be used for adventure travelling, i.e. hiking camping, backpacking etc. Water resistance is a requirement. Something that won't get in the way of walking/sitting etc is also needed, so thinking a sling with double shoulder supports, or even a bag. Probably will need a bag... I am not sure of what is out there on the market at the moment.

My budget is whatever at this stage - Perhaps around $200 - $300 Australian Dollars. Don't care about buying overseas, as long as they are reputable (I.e. don't want to get ripped off buying a "Lowepro" fake on eBay. Looking for value and not necessarily wanting to fork out an absolute premium for a brand name. If warranted though, I will spend extra for quality as I don't want my bag falling apart while I am on holidays.

EDIT: I have a Crumpler bag - Million dollar home, at the moment, and certainly would not hesitate buying another Crumpler bag again.

12-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have a clik elite compact sport that sounds like it would work for you. very small backpack style, is very comfortable to wear and is very durable. do a google search for them. they have different sizes of backpacks.

I like the compact sport because it doesn't stick out from your back very far. there is also room for a hydration bladder (though I have never used it).
12-29-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recommend you check out the backpack section of this website.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

Tim
12-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
REM
Forum Member

Many of the Clik Elite have hydration bag compartments.

Also you can look into the Tamrac Aerospeed 75/85 backpacks. I have the 75 version. They look like a normal backpack but have a dual access system. There is a weather-sealed flap on the side for quick access to a camera and attached lens (no need to set the bag down). Other zippered areas have rain flaps, and there is an optional rain cover for the bag if desired. The backpack is set up in two sections: the lower compartment for camera gear (camera, lenses, flash, accessories) which has two ways of access(front,side), and the upper compartment (holds accessories, or a sweater/light jacket, lunch, personal items). The 85 is slightly bigger and has a laptop compartment. The laptop compartment should be able to fit a hydration bladder (though I havent tested that out myself).

12-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mountainsmith

Check out mountinsmith they make great outdoor gear.
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Crumpler warm shower half photo back pack
01-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hm.. I'll have to keep looking around. The Warm Shower does not seem to exist, fourfivesix. Maybe it's an old model? They don't seem to have any camera bags with hydration facilities built in?

01-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Check out F-stop Gear Loka

Hi Max...
I have listed my Lowepro Pro Trekker and Photo Trekker for sale in the Marketplace.
I did so, because I found an adventure backpack I really, really, really, like:
The F-stop Gear Loka with all three ICU's (Internal Camera Units) plus a hydration sleeve (You purchase whatever hydration system you prefer.).

If you would go to the Dan Carr Photography website:

F-Stop Loka photo packpack and new ICUs – photo showcase » Dan Carr Photography - Photography Product Reviews + Ski, Snowboard and adventure photography tips

you will find Mr Carr's review and a ton (tonne in Australia?) of photos of this backpack system.
If you find this one too small, you will also find Mr Carr's reviews/photos of the Tilopa and Satori.
As soon as my backpack ads need a bump, I will post about the Loka so potential purchasers of my Lowepro backpacks will choose what is best for them.
RayGunn