Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Here's another plug for Feisol. If you think the tripod will be too short, then buy the center column for it.
I have two Feisols and two center columns sitting unused because I've found the tripods I bought are tall enough without them most of the time.

01-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Investigate Kirk Enterprises

While I have not used a trigger ball head, I would like to suggest looking at a Kirk Enterprises BH-3 ball head. This is the smaller of the two they sell, the other being the BH-1 (designed for much heavier camera rigs, and you pay for it in weight. The BH-3 has supported my K-7 with a Takumar 500mm 4.5 lens with little problem.

The Kirk products are very well made and tough, and will last many many years. And a little secret: Keep your eye on Ebay, as Kirk will occasionally sell "blemished" equipment at a discount there. I bought a blemished head and I never regretted it.

Best with finding the right gear for your needs!

germar
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
last nights outing to take some shots of my City..certainly showed my need for a good tripod/head

, my cheaparse tripod is just that" cheaparse" and unstable to boot.....I so wish Id spent some serious $ on a tripod when I was younger.... cause Id still have a good rig now rather than the POS I have had for 25 years .

there was a geezer out last night....D3S...gitzo Tripod/ball head..gee what a rig..and dollars.:{..
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Here's another plug for Feisol. If you think the tripod will be too short, then buy the center column for it.
I have two Feisols and two center columns sitting unused because I've found the tripods I bought are tall enough without them most of the time.

what model tripod/ball head would you recommend in the Feisol range ?

EDIT
what material are these made from..CF or Alloy?

Last edited by Tommot1965; 01-02-2011 at 07:31 PM.
01-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
also, fyi, the center column affects stability...avoid if possible..
The Kirk BH-3 is a good head too. The Acratech heads aren't expensive...but they aren't as stable as a Kirk/RRS/AS. Consider it something good for 20-30yrs.
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I have the three section Tournament, which is a little light for my 60-250, but is a good tripod for shorter/smaller lenses, and the 3371 which is a surprisingly big tripod. I put a Wimberley head on it and use it with my 600mm lens.
I have a Feisol CB50D ballhead for the tournament tripod. It is also a bit on the lightweight side, but seems very sturdy. It certainly is up to my 60-250.

If I was going to buy a heavy tripod from them now, it would be the 3372 and the CB-50DC head.

QuoteQuote:

EDIT
All of the Feisol stuff is carbon fiber, which you indicated you didn't like, but then you also said you were open to suggestion.

Metal tripods are good, but you do pay a weight penalty. I'll never go back to a metal tripod.
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of the Feisol stuff is carbon fiber, which you indicated you didn't like, but then you also said you were open to suggestion.

Metal tripods are good, but you do pay a weight penalty. I'll never go back to a metal tripod.

Another thing to consider about metal tripods is weather effects. If you have ever used a metal tripod when it's sub-freezing you will know how physically painful it can be, even with leg wraps around the 'pod. CF tripods are such a pleasure to use in cold weather.

As for Feisol, they make good stuff. I bought one of their 4 section tripods when they first started making photo equipment and it has done sterling duty. I've taken it into the desert and into the mountains in winter. It's been planted in snow, freezing water, sand. I've had to replace the short center column after a lot of heavy useage, but that's just normal wear-and-tear.

I've learned the hard way that buying cheaply made photo gear cheaply is simply a path to paying more money over the long run than paying up for quality gear. But I've discovered the exceptions to this rule are Jobu (great gimbal stuff), Markins & Feisol for tripods/heads and Samyang for its 85mm/f1.4 lens.

Your mileage can and will vary.
01-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

EDIT
My experience: first got a GoldenPhoto YH430 (a Manfrotto 486RC2 knock off), initial impression favorable, then discovered it had a bit of play in it which translated to extra droop. Bummer. Then got the Manfrotto 496RC2 (486 is no longer made), which is your basic, well-made friction control ballhead. It is a shame about the YH460, since it is of a sturdy build and the movement of the ball is slicker than that of the Manfrotto I now have.

For legs I have GoldenPhoto YH324C, which seems to be a knock off of the older Manfrotto 055 series. Initial impression was that of a bit of corner cutting in manufacture & QC (one latch was broken, the leg tip spike/rubber protector thread had been cut into to limit travel, unfortunately so that one leg's spike was permanently exposed - got spare parts from the Ebay seller to fix these though). In use this is has been a-ok though and was quite a bit cheaper than the actual Manfrotto (sans the horizontal center column).

01-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I dont mind CF..its plastic i don't like, I never considered a CF tripod..as They are so expensive, the Feisol brand don't seem to badly priced..although im yet to see what the postage will be

I caught a youtube video of them, they look the ducks nuts....gotta love that youtube

cheers for the advice mate
01-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Check Feisol.com. They are built in Taiwan, the .com site is closer to your neck of the woods.
<Edit> The Feisols hit a pretty good sweet spot on price/quality. They haven't really hit the price point of diminished returns that some of the really high end ones are at.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-03-2011 at 04:37 PM.
01-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tripods

Good Evening,
I have a Manfrotto 075 with a Manfrotto 029 head plus a 3531 Gitzo with a Manfrotto 229 head. The 075 is too heavy for hiking hence the Gitzo. On saying that I find both excellent combinations.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Gordon.
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #27
WJW
Veteran Member

Its time to upgrade my cheap 25year old tripod with something new and sturdier ..

Im thinking along the lines of a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a trigger ball head.. the 322RC2 to be exact.....I want a tall tripod..Im 6'2" and would like not having to stoop anymore..
Slik 700DX with any ball head you care to attach. For the last 10 years I've used my 700DX with the Slik Pro Ball Head 800 (Like the round QR plates). I never extend the center column unless I end up at some weird angle. I'm only 6' so you might have to extend the column slightly. I think Adorama had the 700DX for $99 the last time I was looking for plates.
01-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wheatfield

whats the go with the carbon fibre Ball head....it says its just wrapped in CF..I don't really understand the benefit of that ?...its alloy underneath right ?

are all the knurled knobs on the BH alloy ?

cheers
01-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
what are the advantages of the feisol 3472 over the 3371 ?

the 3371 and the 50 mm ball head are within my budget...getting the 3472 would blow that out some...what does an extra $190 buy you ?
01-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian

what are the advantages of the feisol 3472 over the 3371 ?

the 3371 and the 50 mm ball head are within my budget...getting the 3472 would blow that out some...what does an extra $190 buy you ?
Less weight (almost a pound) looks like the biggie, with shorter closed height and the ability to set up much shorter, which are part of the 4 section design, being secondary (at least for me).
The 4 section leg design will add to the cost since you are buying more leg locks and there will be more assembly. $190.00 seems a little steep for that though.
OTOH, the 3371 sets up 2 inches taller, which for me is a bigger deal because I'm 6'2" tall.