Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the reply wheatfield...

yes the wieght reduction would be good, I was also looking at the 3471 same price at the 3371..but folds up a tad shorter due to the 4 section leg design.....do you feel that might add instability, as id assue the last leg diameter would be less than the last leg of a 3 section tripod..?

the 3472 are in the elite category, so id assume that they were better...just trying to work out which bit is..before I order ..

nit picking now I know..but i do like the look of the Feisol...just a pity we don't have them where I live..be nice to try one out

01-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
Pentaxian

The 3371 is quite a lot of tripod. It easily supports my A600/5.6 and Wimberley head. I suspect the 4 section legs are still pretty substantial at the base.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the names they tag on. My "Tournament" is of similar quality to my "Classic", one being essentially a heavier duty version of the other.
I'll take some pictures of them both for you tomorrow when it's light enough for my K5 to focus.
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 3371 is quite a lot of tripod. It easily supports my A600/5.6 and Wimberley head. I suspect the 4 section legs are still pretty substantial at the base.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the names they tag on. My "Tournament" is of similar quality to my "Classic", one being essentially a heavier duty version of the other.
I'll take some pictures of them both for you tomorrow when it's light enough for my K5 to focus.

"when it's light enough for my K5"....love it...LMAO

that would be great if you could grab me some pictures mate...

the "tournament" looks good..I like the feature of being able to reverse the legs for storage, while leaving the ball head on...

on the elite seem to share the same top plate design..but have larger legs..and increased height ..the classic top plate looks more like a Manfrotto type deal..dunno if that good or bad..or just different ....

Im not looking elsewhere any more..pretty much decided on the Fiesol.. ...just need to pull the trigger on the right one for me
01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'm another convert to Feisol. Wouldn't consider any other brand. Think of them as the poor man's Gitzo. Mine is a three-section from the classic series with the "rapid" locks, which I highly recommend. Keep in mind that not all heads can be contained inside the folded legs on the Tournament series. Hard to believe you can go wrong with whatever model you decide on. I recently posted a review of mine in the tripod reviews section, if you're interested.

01-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'm another convert to Feisol. Wouldn't consider any other brand. Think of them as the poor man's Gitzo. Mine is a three-section from the classic series with the "rapid" locks, which I highly recommend. Keep in mind that not all heads can be contained inside the folded legs on the Tournament series. Hard to believe you can go wrong with whatever model you decide on. I recently posted a review of mine in the tripod reviews section, if you're interested.
thanks for the Tip on your review..Ill have a gander...

what are "Rapid" locks ?

and yes I too see it as a "poor mans Gitzo"...or more a ... " intelligent man's gitzo"...LOL
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just sussed out what "rapid" locks do

is it really that important..it adds $95 to the 3371...but only $49 to the 3472..go figure..exactly the same leg set up..the only different thing is the top plate..!
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check it out, if you have not already...

Hin's Tech Corner: Magic Tripod, Part II

M
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
just sussed out what "rapid" locks do

is it really that important..it adds $95 to the 3371...but only $49 to the 3472..go figure..exactly the same leg set up..the only different thing is the top plate..!

Well, they are worth the extra cost to me, even at $95, but definitely at $49. I haven't ever used a non-rapid model, but from what I've read, they can be pretty frustrating. I can set up/take down my model really quickly. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, though, who knows?

01-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Well, they are worth the extra cost to me, even at $95, but definitely at $49. I haven't ever used a non-rapid model, but from what I've read, they can be pretty frustrating. I can set up/take down my model really quickly. Maybe it wouldn't bother you, though, who knows?
so with a non "rapid", you need to hold both the upper and lower leg when tightening the leg lock...where as the "Rapid" you have to do neither ?..just tighten up?

sorry i sound Dim witted here..just trying to see how it works ?
01-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
so with a non "rapid", you need to hold both the upper and lower leg when tightening the leg lock...where as the "Rapid" you have to do neither ?..just tighten up?

sorry i sound Dim witted here..just trying to see how it works ?
Right. With the rapid, the only part you even have to touch is the lock itself. There is no holding one section to keep it from rotating while you lock it down. And when setting up, of course, all the locks are right there together, so you can unlock them all at the same time. I know there is a method to dealing with non-anti-rotating legs, but the rapid just makes it simpler and faster. You're going to be using this tripod for a loooong time, trust me. Just ammortize the extra cost of the rapid legs over all those years and they're pretty cheap. You'll feel smart every time you use them.

You don't sound dim-witted. I didn't completely get it 'til I had it in my hands.