Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Opinions on a photo vest?

Hello, All!

I've seen this LowePro photovest system in a couple of articles and books, has anyone here had first-hand experience with it or something similar?

1951510 Lowepro Street & Field Vest Harness, One Size Fits Most, Black.

It looks kinda nice, but it seems that there are several essential (and expensive) accessories to buy to make it really useful. The photo at Adorama shows it with several pouches attached, but the page doesn't explicitly say the pouches are included with the purchase price. Can anyone confirm or deny that the illustration is what you get?

I've experimented with bags and backpacks, but I really would like to get away from luggage that I've got to zip open and rummage around in while that perfect shot gets away.

Let me know your opinions and perhaps alternate (read:less expensive) ways to leave the bag at home!

Thanks in advance

germar

10-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, rather than a large bag sitting on the ground with compartments and zippers and flaps, you want pockets and flaps and zippers all resting on the bones and muscles of your body?

I don't have any first hand experience with this LowePro device you linked; I do know about other vests and bags--all in significant variation and quantity. Trust someone with some small amount of experience-it don't matter weather its a pocket or a compartment, you still won't find what you need when you need it bad!

What you really need is a system. Here's mine: leave everything you don't have immediate need for in the bag or vest sitting in the trunk of your car. Forget about contingencies and what-ifs and maybe's....

You'd be surprised at how few images you actually miss.

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Hello, All!

I've seen this LowePro photovest system in a couple of articles and books, has anyone here had first-hand experience with it or something similar?

1951510 Lowepro Street & Field Vest Harness, One Size Fits Most, Black.

It looks kinda nice, but it seems that there are several essential (and expensive) accessories to buy to make it really useful. The photo at Adorama shows it with several pouches attached, but the page doesn't explicitly say the pouches are included with the purchase price. Can anyone confirm or deny that the illustration is what you get?

I've experimented with bags and backpacks, but I really would like to get away from luggage that I've got to zip open and rummage around in while that perfect shot gets away.

Let me know your opinions and perhaps alternate (read:less expensive) ways to leave the bag at home!

Thanks in advance

germar
10-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm with John on this one.

When I'm on one of my paid assignments I select only 3 lenses to bring along with me.
These lenses easily fit in a well organized camera bag, which doesn't weigh all that much.

I rarely need to switch over and have never had a situation I couldn't handle with one of them.

I should mention that I always leave the rest of my collection locked in my trunk close by, just in case I need something else.
10-02-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

germar,
i live in the dallas area so i know what you're facing a lot of the time weather wise in austin. this looks awfully hot...... i've got a vest and a tote bag. i seldomly ever use the vest because of the heat. i do use the bag. BUT what i've found is best is pants (shorts or long) with cargo pockets is the best. as with the posters above i'll have to agree with. 3 lenses is about all you should need to get the shot. what i carry is the kit lens 18-55mm, an A70-210mm, and the tamron 300/f2.8 which is on a separate strap(no way it'll fit in a pocket) if i don't need the 2.8 speed then i'll carry a 300/4.
if you get a vest , i'd make sure it was made of mesh to fight the heat here. just my 2¢.

10-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Lowepro vest looks bulky.

I went to my local Walmart and bought a lightweight but sturdy fishing vest. I use it as a photography vest.

It doesn't stand out like that Lowepro vest does (I like not standing out) and has lots of pockets and zip closures (fishing requires a lot of gear too!). It was also a third the price of a "photography" vest.
10-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #6

I always thought vests were dorky looking.

Last winter, though, I bought one for a safari trip to East Africa and I'm glad I did. In that environment -- standing and sitting in an open-topped van with a bunch of other people -- it worked great. All my photo gear (and sunscreen, bug repellent, water bottle, binoculars, candy bar, guide book) was immediately at hand, and I didn't have to worry about forgetting my camera bag when we stopped and got out.

The one I used was a cheapie, with the "Humvee" brand name, and it worked fine.

Haven't used it much since that trip, though. Looks too dorky.
10-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback!

Wow, thanks everyone for your opinions, I had no idea that the concept of a photo vest would be met with such consistent disdain! Glad I asked!

I hear you all on how a vest might not trump a carefully considered selection of accessories. I guess a small, well organized bag is a good solution a possibly hot, heavy and (gasp!) dorky photo vest.

I'll attempt pairing down my bag and seeing if that works for me.

Again, thanks much for your valued opinions!

germar

10-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
DAP

If I were you I would go to your local camera store and try one on (most places carry them). It would at least give you an idea if it is right for you. I've never owned or even used one before so I can't give you any 1st hand advice, but they seem to work for a lot of people. As far as looking geeky - look at it from this perspective - is a photo vest really that much more dorky than a "man purse" (ie. camera bag).
10-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would ask Adorama.

From the ad, you need to buy the belt, and any pouches seem to be add-ons.

The chances of having the correct lens on your camera is inversely proportional to the number of lenses you own.
10-06-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wanna save a LOT of money?

Buy a fishing vest. Lots of pockets, perfectly sized for holding filters and a couple of lenses.

They do get heavy to wear, though, so keep that in mind.

As for looking dorky, why would you care about what other people think about the way you look? If you think a vest is the way to go, then wear one, to hell with what a bunch of strangers might think.
10-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #11

My wife gave me an Orvis Zambezi vest (for safari I guess) and it's great for a camera vest in the fall/winter.