Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Straps I like on sale

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the 'price watch' section, but while I was checking on em for a post in the Beginners forum, I noticed a big sale on Lowepro Speedster straps on Ebay, $5.75 shipped. (Easy search on the name. It's a reputable seller I've dealt with before.)

My favorite non-padded strap, very non-slippy, and a big improvement over stock straps without being much bigger.

I scooped up another one for me, thought I'd share. They aren't normally very pricey, but it seems this seller got a huge bunch of em.

04-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I know this is a few months old RML.
I'm using an old film camera strap and attaching it is quite awkward. I was thinking I could modify my strap to work similar to the Lowepro if I knew what those little silver rings actually are.
04-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Buy.com - Nite Ize S-Biner SB1-2PK-01 Carabiner Clip
Try a pair of these - these might not be the size you want, but they come in lots of sizes, from truly tiny to gargantuan. :-)
04-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks. Knew about these, just didn't think about using them. I can get them locally. Something I wonder about though is the thickness of them. The one my brother has is quite thick in the curve.

04-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm using an old film camera strap and attaching it is quite awkward. I was thinking I could modify my strap to work similar to the Lowepro if I knew what those little silver rings actually are.
They are like strong, very small key rings. They used to be standard on almost all camera straps (albeit most were triangular).
04-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
They used to be standard on almost all camera straps (albeit most were triangular).
Yep, remember those, they were on the strap attached to my K1000. Bit of a pain to get them off too IIRC.

I think I'll look around and see what I can find close to home, we have a few old timey hardware stores here.
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, well, unless you have the old-style strap lugs like the K-5 and K-7 have, you don't use the rings, just the webbing loops the rings are in go on like the stock straps do. They work nice either way.

Or, when you say old film camera strap, do you mean the type with the dog-clips? For those you want some little webbing links or something. *scratching head* I might just have some around here... surely the parts to make em... Why don't you snap a little photo of what you've got, and I'll see. Pretty sure I've got some extra webbing and slides, but it's probably not much to just buy em, or cut em from an old stock strap from something, either.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-08-2011 at 08:32 AM.
04-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's a photo of the loop on the strap I have: There are like the ones I had on my old film cameras, like the ZX-5n and ZX-5.

04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, sure, there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want to hook up, that ought to go right in the K-x's strap slots, maybe with a little help from a knitting needle or something similar if it's tight.

If you're wondering about those Speedsters, you can do the same with those: you just leave out the rings. Or is that what's awkward to you? Can you describe how? (I usually like em just as simple as possible, but there's some that come with swivels, (Domke Grippers are similar and most come with swivels, and you could always put an extra ring on a loop of the same sort of material the strap ends are made of. )

Not sure if it's the strap you have that you like, or if you're looking for how to fit a new one.
04-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I have two of these, and I had this one attached to the K100D, it wasn't that bad, and worked pretty good. But on the K-x where it attaches to the strap slot, it tends to be a bit stiff and it gets in the way of reaching for the shutter button. Or lays on top across the AV button. I thought if I got a couple of rings and attached those to the loop on the strap, then to the strap lugs, it would be better. Even ones that swivel so the strap wouldn't be just stuck in one position.
04-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I have two of these, and I had this one attached to the K100D, it wasn't that bad, and worked pretty good. But on the K-x where it attaches to the strap slot, it tends to be a bit stiff and it gets in the way of reaching for the shutter button. Or lays on top across the AV button. I thought if I got a couple of rings and attached those to the loop on the strap, then to the strap lugs, it would be better. Even ones that swivel so the strap wouldn't be just stuck in one position.
*thinking of the easiest way out, there,* You *could* just put a ring or two through the strap slot, though it offends my sense of elegant solutions, cause it'd be kind of grindey-slippy.

Or, hey, you could buy a pair of *these:*

OpTech System Connectors #7 - Utility Loop (Set of 2) | eBay

They'll go from a loop that you can run through your strap slot, and you could put one ring between there and your strap. Could even do the job for two cameras, if you just put that in on the side that bothers you.

Another thing you could do is just put up with the strap as is until it breaks in a little: that should let it fall more easily.

Myself, I usually like straps pretty simple, (I just put up with the inevitable twisting. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-09-2011 at 09:17 AM.