Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
light meters

Is there still uses outside a studio for a light meter? I was thinking about picking one up from fleebay. gossen..... I was thinking it would be ideal for a wedding (outdoor shots mostly but some church ones as well) coming up to be able to measure the flash and have it 1/2 stop below the brightest part of the face inorder to fill in the shadows with looking like a raindeer in the headlights. I have a sigma dg500 super flash and it isn't all that reliable as far as accurate goes.

any thoughts

randy

01-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Its cool for tests, but that's all I've used mine for...or when the slr I'm using doesn't have a built-in meter (asahiflex).
01-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If that's what you want it for make sure you get a flash meter instead of just a plain old light meter.
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lightmeters still are valuable to balance flash and ambient light and also for getting a "neutral" reading of the available light, by measuring the light level of the incident light. Camera meters only measure the reflected light and that can lead to wrong results, if the contrast is very high or low. Than, taking a reading of the incident light gives much better results, without falling back to excessive bracketing.

see here: Sekonic Classroom: Metering Techniques

Ben

01-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Lightmeters still are valuable to balance flash and ambient light and also for getting a "neutral" reading of the available light, by measuring the light level of the incident light. Camera meters only measure the reflected light and that can lead to wrong results, if the contrast is very high or low. Than, taking a reading of the incident light gives much better results, without falling back to excessive bracketing.

see here: Sekonic Classroom: Metering Techniques

Ben
thnks for the link I am going to check it out

randy
01-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just bought a used polaris SPD 100 on fleebay used.... think it might suite my needs without braking the bank

anyone own this model?

thanks

randy
01-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Just bought a used polaris SPD 100 on fleebay used.... think it might suite my needs without braking the bank

anyone own this model?

thanks

randy

I think I looked at those, when I was shopping on a pretty limited budget, though it was some time ago: littlish thing with a sliding incident dome, maybe? I don't think I came to a final yes/no about it: I got a deal on a more-familiar Minolta Flashmeter IV (Pretty high-tech by my standards, but fairly contemporary to that. )

I think if I were you, I'd just check it for accuracy, with different light sources, (At least the ones you want to use it for,) be sure you know how it behaves, particularly for what you'd like to do.