Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Older vintage camera straps on newer Digital SLR?

I was wondering if the older film age straps fit well on newer Digital SLR cameras. I notice they have metal hooks, does this cause a problem with scratching? Do they fit well on the likes of a K20D or K7 for example?

Reason being is that I looked at almost every strap from B&H and Adorama and honestly the older ones feel much better and look nicer imo.

01-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
I was wondering if the older film age straps fit well on newer Digital SLR cameras. I notice they have metal hooks, does this cause a problem with scratching? Do they fit well on the likes of a K20D or K7 for example?

Reason being is that I looked at almost every strap from B&H and Adorama and honestly the older ones feel much better and look nicer imo.
The strap of my 35 mm Pentax P30 could fit on my K-7 without scratching, but I personnally prefer the K-7 strap overall.

Hope that the feedback will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 01-09-2011 at 01:29 AM.
01-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've fitted the original strap from my K2DMD onto my K-5, just yesterday, mainly because I found the K-5 strap too bulky when not in use (and a bit gaudy). Mind you, another K-5 shooter near to me (no names) wears his K-5 strap with the bright red Pentax lettering, just to upset the Canon/Nikon crowd who, as we know, think they've got the only DSLRs around (reminds me of the old joke about being quiet around Catholics in Heaven, because they thought they were the only ones there - no offence).

It's also nice to connect the old and the new in this way, and it shows the longevity of the original product (I bought the K2DMD second-hand in 1981). I wish the hard lens cases stood up to things as well as the straps clearly have. I must fish out the SP-F strap (bought new in 1974 - the camera, complete with the strap), now I think of it. If only they made ever-ready cases like they used to...
01-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmm seems like it would work, I am thinking of something like this: http://theambershow.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/vcs1.jpg I assume I would have to buy it used since I have seen none like that new.

01-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What I usually do with the old camera straps is use small plastic coated clip key rings through the camera slots, then I connect the old hooks up to those and put some kind of plastic tubing over those to protect the camera. I usually use the ones that slip over my art paint brushes or aquarium tubing that I pick up at the pet store. You can always slide it up if you need to, but that way nothing metal actually touches the camera and you still get the comfort of the old strap. Yeah, they usually will scratch if you don't cover them with something, but the tubing does a pretty good job of preventing that.
01-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
What I usually do with the old camera straps is use small plastic coated clip key rings through the camera slots, then I connect the old hooks up to those and put some kind of plastic tubing over those to protect the camera. I usually use the ones that slip over my art paint brushes or aquarium tubing that I pick up at the pet store. You can always slide it up if you need to, but that way nothing metal actually touches the camera and you still get the comfort of the old strap. Yeah, they usually will scratch if you don't cover them with something, but the tubing does a pretty good job of preventing that.
Wow thanks, thats a pretty good idea. Wonder why they stopped making straps like this...people like these from what I can tell.
01-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

Or you can "sugrued" the metal part to protect the camera.
Welcome | sugru | Hack Things Better

01-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have been using a all black woven nylon K1000 strap (without the triangular split ring) on my DL2 and then on my K20D all the time I've had them. The strap neatly fits through the body integral metal loops. The slender strap stows smaller but the rubber 'neck pad' gives sufficient support to avoid pressure point when hanging around the neck.

I like the badgeless stealth look - I have also covered the camera badging in black electrical tape.
01-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm using original LX straps on all my DLSR's, even managed to get another one BNIB recently off Ebay.

I like 'em cos they are a fair bit longer in length than the latest versions and are plain black i.e. they don't yell any particular camera brand.
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Hmm seems like it would work, I am thinking of something like this: http://theambershow.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/vcs1.jpg I assume I would have to buy it used since I have seen none like that new.

How about this?

67756 Pepper Camera Strap: Multicolored Camera Strap, Adjusts from 44" to 55", Color: Brown / Fuschia Paisley Park

or one of these:

Buy Spice Up Your Camera Straps & Slings | Adorama, the Photography People
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

I just remembered this site: HighKey Camera Straps - Apparel For Your Camera

I personnaly bought a Couch one for my MX: Camera Straps and Wallets : Couch Guitar Straps, Seat belt guitar straps and vinyl guitar straps, vegan belts
01-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Some of those look really nice, I did come across something that looks amazingly comfortable though on Etsy. Camera Strap Orange Vintage by SassyStrap on Etsy

She makes a bunch of different designs...I am just wondering if they will hold my K20D and a pretty big Manual heavy zoom lens.
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heehee. Upcycled coolness in some of those links.

It also should be possible to simply swap out most of the metal hardware in some of those old 'hippie' straps, if you find any in nice enough shape. The old ones come in pretty endless patterns, but very different degrees of quality of materials/niceness. However, it wouldn't be too hard to swap out the bangey-scratchey (and often really shoddy) metal hardware bits in favor of something more modern. (pretty easily-available stuff, the buckles and webbing.)
01-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Indeed, I ordered the one on Etsy, I hope its good, will report back if anyone is interested :-).