Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax AF-500 FTZ, wierd sound???

Just got a used AF 500 FTZ. It works great.

Only thing is, it sounds really strange.
I have the 540 to.

When the 540 flash loads up theres always a long kinda "beeeeeeee" and then it stops.

The AF 500 makes the same sound, but then it continues to make a consistent noice, kinda like "whizzzzzzzzzz" well..... kinda like that. Sounds almost like something frying.

Theres no bad smell or anything, but im just curious if this flash behaves like that.

Shouldnt the sound stop when the charge is loaded and ready?

01-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It did on my AF 500 FTZ when I had it.
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The flash head is kind of noisy when it zooms. Is that what you are describing? To test just put on mid range zoom lens--not a tele zoom or a super wide zoom as the flash doesn't have that much range--and rack the zoom in an out with the flash powered on. You might have to half press the shutter to get the flash to match the zoom of the lens. The 500 FTZ is noticeably louder than the 540 FGZ.

As I recall the zoom range of the flash is something like 24-85mm meaning the flash head zooms to match the lens. So the 12-24 won't cause the flash to zoom, it just stays at it's widest setting. Same for 100-300 length lenses...the flash doesn't zoom to match but stays at the tele setting. Put on a 28-70 and rack it in and out while testing with a half shutter press and you'll hear it whirring away.
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
The flash head is kind of noisy when it zooms. Is that what you are describing? .
No, its not the zoom head thats making the sound. Its the electric load making a faint kinda "frying" sound from inside the flash body.

On all flashes (most) you can hear a high frequency sound as the electrical charge is loading inside the flash. On the 540 that sound stops at the moment the flash is fully loaded and ready to shoot.

On this 500 FTZ that sound turns into a faint sound that doesnt stop, sounding a litle like "frying".

So this is what im worried about.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It did on my AF 500 FTZ when I had it.
Not the zoom head?

01-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll be damned. Just tested: 540 whines til about 5 seconds after the ready light comes on then falls silent. Tested two 500''s and both continue to whine after the ready light comes on and eventually the high pitched whine becomes a bit "sizzly" if that's a word. I notice that the sizzle sound varies depending on the angle of the flash to my ear. One of the 500's was almost never used (a buddy's lonely flash) and one was very used including being pushed by a Turbo Battery for 10 years. Both sound exactly the same and recharge at the same speed.
01-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Then it must be normal! I was worried that the sound was something burning or melting inside. But maybe its just a thing with old flashes and electronics. I guess the power hokus pokus thingy in the 540 is more modern. Thus, when the flash is fully loaded, that piece of electric component doesnt make as much sound as the one in the 500..... well.... just my guess.