Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Remote O-RC1

Does anyone have any experience with this remote? I would like to use it in combination with the K5 - apparently it is compatible. Can anyone confirm this?

I may also just opt for the model F, which I had but lost unfortunately. It worked fine, but the button on the new model looks to be bigger and thus perhaps easier to use.

01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

According to Pentax, the O-RC1 works with your K5 (linky).

But I'm cheap. For the same amount of money, I'd rather buy a Yongnuo 602 (RF, much greater range, more flexible and more reliable than infra-red, also works as a remote flash trigger) or 10 of this
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
According to Pentax, the O-RC1 works with your K5 (linky).

But I'm cheap. For the same amount of money, I'd rather buy a Yongnuo 602 (RF, much greater range, more flexible and more reliable than infra-red, also works as a remote flash trigger) or 10 of this
unless of course you want a WATERPROOF remote shutter release. The Yongnuo is a combo RF flash trigger (if and only if you use the YN-602 flash triggers/receivers on your flashes, at least as I recall it does not work with the 301 model triggers) as well as being able to cable it to your PC port on the body to act as a remote shutter release. This, of course, means the port cover door must be open to the elements. That is fine for indoor shooting but outdoors it would be the same as no weather sealing on the body. But if a person does not do flash photography there is even less point in buying into the YN602 system.

I have the O-RC1 and it's fine. I bought it only because I lost both my old Remote F devices. I do like that it's waterproof so if I ever want to do a long exposure outside in the rain, snow, fog or whatever I don't need worry about covering the camera for which I paid extra to have a weather sealed body thus defeating the entire point of paying that extra cash.

I say buy two of these remotes because even the newer remote, the O-RC1, is small enough to misplace. Though the Remote F is far easier to misplace even while using it! I cheat and took a trick from someone here, can't find the post, but I use a small stip of velcro to secure the remote to the body either when stored or when I remember to put the remote back on the camera when shooting.
01-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips & suggestions! I am not (yet) into flash and I intend to review the options later. For now I think a 'normal' remote is enough. And yes, the Pentax version is more expensive then the off-brand ones, but that's OK to me.

So the O-RC1 is a little larger then the F? I was fumbling with the F a lot and the button was small so some better ergonomics would be nice.

01-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

yeah the O-RC1 is a bit wider. I remember when I got my first F remote and how it looked like a couple sticks of gum stacked together. My first thought was "...I better order about 6 more of these because I WILL lose that thing..." And sure enough I started misplacing it while using the thing! Don't have the same issue with the O-RC1 though I did just order a couple extra, so now I have one in each bag as well as another extra at home. I should never be hunting for a remote but I already know I will still look for them.

BTW, some universal remote controls, like for your TV and what not, will also activate your Pentax camera. I think there is a post somewhere in a thread here on PF. I remember reading it and found one of my remotes did work. Of course I forgot which one did and have no idea where that thread might be. The topic might have been for some software to use on your PDA that makes use of the PDA's IR transmitter to control the Pentax camera. Or it might have been in a thread discussing programming your HP calculator to do the same thing. If ya don't know some HP, and other, calculators have IR transceivers so they both transmit and receive. This can also be programmed. As I recall people were working on writing a program for the calculator to shoot time lapsed and/or long exposures.

So you might try hunting for either of those basic conversations. Wish I could be more help, but I'm sure you'll find it. I sort of like the idea of using a remote I would otherwise not use for anything as I also loose, or "accidentally" step on a remote because the TV or other device might be misbehaving and needs to see I am serious that it is close to the scrap heap, thus the remote becomes an active participant in ritual sacrifice.
11-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my remote....I have to ask, What is the point of this? I bought it so I could do some self portraits and shots with my son without involving others.I figured I could hide the remote (pocket, behind subject etc..) and take a shot. However, it appears that I need to be "line of sight" to activate the shutter. What a waste of money. I hope I'm missing something here and am proven wrong. Yes..I could set the timer but I don't need a remote for the timer since there is a timer in my body.

I guess what I'm looking for are the Yongnugo's? Can someone post a link for what I need? I believe I need to go with the Canon model right? I have remote receivers and transmitters but they are Cactus 4's, Me thinks that won't work. Thanks again Pentax for another let down.
11-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, the point is that the remote is compact and relatively cheap I guess....... For tripod work for instance it's great, also for self portraits. Just use the 3 second timer to have the time to hide the remote. The good thing about many Pentax cameras is that there are 2 sensors, at the back of the camera and in the front. This is by no means standard. So Pentax is good here.

Downsides to me are that the remote does not wake the camera and the fact that the remote has to be in line with either of the sensors (i.e. it does not work from the sides or from the top). That why I purchased the Cactus V5, which works great as a wireless remote (albeit bulky). The V4's can also be used, with some small additional parts. Check it HERE

11-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So then you can't focus with the cactus 4's, right? I have the cactus 4's.....what's that additional part?
11-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well it says "Hotshoe to PC-sync adapter", and you need a cable. I never looked for it but I expect it to be cheaper then a new set of triggers.
11-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
Downsides to me are that the remote does not wake the camera and the fact that the remote has to be in line with either of the sensors (i.e. it does not work from the sides or from the top)
+1
My first died after ~500 clicks. Lucky for me I bought it locally and Don's Photo replaced it on the spot.
All in all I find it pretty lame. Only uses one button of three on the remote (K-5), poor range, doesn't wake up the camera. lanyard attachment point is difficult to use.
Disappointing but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.