Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #1

Looking for a Arca-swiss type clamp that screws straight onto mono/tripod

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

Probably a weird request....

Want to attach my Kirk L-plated K20 to a monopod for a light/simple setup. yes my markin Q3 is not that heavy but I would like to head out without it.

Does anyone manufacture the clamps to go directly on to a tripod/monopod screw?

Cheers

01-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Although I have rarely used this after setting it up, it works well - with a monopod you don't need the rotational aspect, so I have found this manfrotto tilt head to work well:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head (Replaces 3232): Camera & Photo

On top of the head I added a quick release clamp found on ebay, this one:

50mm 3/8" 1/4" QR Clamp Quick Release Arca Swiss Compat - eBay (item 370317967012 end time Feb-02-11 20:39:24 PST)

I have multiple different off-brand plates, along with Kirk and photoclam ones and this clamp has had no problem with any of them.

You could also attach that quick release clamp directly to the monopod, but with the tilt head you can have the monopod angled away from you, giving you the best support by making a pseudo tripod - the monopod leg, plus your legs!
01-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Most (if not all) Arca-compatible clamps have a ¼-20 threaded hole so you can mount them. Look at the one on top of your balllhead.

In fact, if you look at the underside of your L-plate you can mount it directly to a monopod, though I don't know why you'd want to.
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've found most of the more well known ball head brands are actually a bolt-through construction on the top clamps. Alot of them do sell their clamp assemblies with the option to have either the 1/4-20 or 3/8 screw holes instead, but buying only the top clamps from the bigger makers can be pretty spendy.

01-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have several copies of Giotto quick release clamps & plates. They come in different sizes - an example.

The clamp has the "safety" feature so as-is, it may not be compatible with Arca-Swiss plates from other manufacturers. But you can easily remove the "safety" pin from the clamp (I do).

The clamp has a 3/8 threaded hole. If your tripod/monopod has a 1/4 screw, you need a 3/8-1/4 reducer bushing.

01-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Although I have rarely used this after setting it up, it works well - with a monopod you don't need the rotational aspect, so I have found this manfrotto tilt head to work well:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head (Replaces 3232): Camera & Photo

On top of the head I added a quick release clamp found on ebay, this one:

50mm 3/8" 1/4" QR Clamp Quick Release Arca Swiss Compat - eBay (item 370317967012 end time Feb-02-11 20:39:24 PST)

I have multiple different off-brand plates, along with Kirk and photoclam ones and this clamp has had no problem with any of them.

You could also attach that quick release clamp directly to the monopod, but with the tilt head you can have the monopod angled away from you, giving you the best support by making a pseudo tripod - the monopod leg, plus your legs!
Hi Paul

Thanks for your response..
Probably not with the manfrotto.. good idea but i might as well use my Q3.
That Ebay job could be the ticket.. nice and cheap.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Bimjo.. my markin q3 have a one piece forged ballhead that flares into the clamp assembly no way to get that working.

Yes my L plate has a screw mount for the horizontal orientation but there isn't one for the vertical.

-------------------------------------------------------------

SOldBear.. looks like i might try the ebay job before the Giotto.. but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers