Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Cheap filters web site

Found this web site that has cheap filters. What do you think ? Any good ?

Shop Camera Filters, Close-up, Replacement Filters, UV Filters at Focalprice.com

01-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to accessories.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

i was going to buy one off ebay a few days ago just to see how they are, even if it was crap i would of only lost 7 bucks
but I'm curious to hear if anyone has brought them too
01-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't use filters, and I really would not use cheap ones - except perhaps at a windy beach.

01-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
tux
Forum Member

delete this thread....spam

the link is an affiliate marketing link.
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
delete this thread....spam

the link is an affiliate marketing link.
Whoa! How do you know that?

Concerning cheap filters... I'd stay clear away. Just think about it, you have a ~$700 lens whose optics are really good (like the FA 77mm Limited). Then you put a $5 piece of junk on the end of it? Doesn't make sense. Why shoot with an SLR if IQ is not a concern.

Just my 2 cents...
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As a side note, I use to be a filterless guy like SpecialK, but have since then decided that my lenses are too priceless to risk harming. Now I run Hoya Pro1D filters (not cheap) on pretty much every lens I own.

01-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Whoa! How do you know that?

Concerning cheap filters... I'd stay clear away. Just think about it, you have a ~$700 lens whose optics are really good (like the FA 77mm Limited). Then you put a $5 piece of junk on the end of it? Doesn't make sense. Why shoot with an SLR if IQ is not a concern.

Just my 2 cents...
Could you please explain how a cheap filter attached to the front of a lense could harm the lense ? After all, it only sits there to enhance or alter the image. Could it be that maybe by being cheaply made, the thread of the filter could be poor quality and damage the thread on the lense ?
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blulagoon Quote
Could you please explain how a cheap filter attached to the front of a lense could harm the lense ? After all, it only sits there to enhance or alter the image. Could it be that maybe by being cheaply made, the thread of the filter could be poor quality and damage the thread on the lense ?
Think of something like shooting through window glass .
I don't know about the very expensive filters but I bought 1 Hoya UV filter (closed to $30 and Made in Japan) and it caused ghostly images . Since then I never put it back on any lens.
01-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cheap is relative. Here is where I shop.
Camera Accessories Filters & China Mobiles Cell Phones Wholesale Smartphone PDA Cellphone
01-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I didn't state that a cheap filter will harm a lens. My statement was that a cheap filter will degrade the image quality of the pictures taken. Sure, you can shoot through a clear plastic bag if you want, but my point is why would you even shoot an SLR then? Why not run a cheapo point and shoot instead?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you or anything. I just stated my opinion. And of course, that's why I added the "my 2 cents" on the end.
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I haven't checked those sites because I already have all the cheap filters of all sizes I could ever want, gained in eBay batch-lot sales. But here's mi dos centavos about filters:

UV and skylight filters are worthless on digicams. Clear optical glass filters are good if you're shooting in very hostile environments, which I avoid. I don't use filters to 'protect' lenses, but for various optical / spectral effects instead.

We know the uses of PL/CPL polarizers, ND/GND darkeners, HalfChrome filters, and full and split +dioptre 'filters', etc. IR-pass, CC (color correction) and B&W filters have their uses in spectrum-slicing, especially with modified cameras. If you want those effects, you likely have other concerns than mere IQ. They let you get otherwise impossible or difficult shots -- and any captured image is better than any missed image.
01-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want cheap (but not necessarily cheap quality) filters, check this vendor out:

Camera Accessories Filters - MaxSaver
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I didn't state that a cheap filter will harm a lens. My statement was that a cheap filter will degrade the image quality of the pictures taken. Sure, you can shoot through a clear plastic bag if you want, but my point is why would you even shoot an SLR then? Why not run a cheapo point and shoot instead?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you or anything. I just stated my opinion. And of course, that's why I added the "my 2 cents" on the end.
Can I just remind you what you said in your earlier post here. You said " I use to be a filterless guy like SpecialK, but have since then decided that my lenses are too priceless to risk harming" Sorry, I'm not trying to have an argument here. Just trying to get the facts on cheap verses expensive filters
01-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Can I just remind you what you said in your earlier post here. You said " I use to be a filterless guy like SpecialK, but have since then decided that my lenses are too priceless to risk harming" Sorry, I'm not trying to have an argument here. Just trying to get the facts on cheap verses expensive filters
it means that he uses filters for protection, meaning that not having a filter may lead to a harmed lens. using a quality filter will decrease the chances of degrading image quality.