Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
softbox ratio

I am looking to make my own softbox and was wondering if there is a ratio of the distance the flash (off camera flash) away from the front diffuser vs size of the softbox?
example so many inches was from the diffuser per foot of diffuser? (softbox cover)Hope this makes sense...
I wanted to make a bigger one for soft light

thanks

randy

01-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I am looking to make my own softbox and was wondering if there is a ratio of the distance the flash (off camera flash) away from the front diffuser vs size of the softbox?
example so many inches was from the diffuser per foot of diffuser? (softbox cover)Hope this makes sense...
I wanted to make a bigger one for soft light

thanks

randy
How wide can you flash be zoomed out to? If it can hit, say, 24mm, then the formula can be used to determine the angle of view in degrees. On digital, that would be 53 degrees. So, use your high school trig skills to build your softbox. You will want the left/right and top/bottom to be about 53 degrees so that your flash hits the entire thing. The size of your diffusing material will determine how far away the flash is.
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
How wide can you flash be zoomed out to? If it can hit, say, 24mm, then the formula can be used to determine the angle of view in degrees. On digital, that would be 53 degrees. So, use your high school trig skills to build your softbox. You will want the left/right and top/bottom to be about 53 degrees so that your flash hits the entire thing. The size of your diffusing material will determine how far away the flash is.
thanks that helps a lot

randy