Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dolica 62" mini tripod DIY

Hey all. Not that this is the most spectacular DIY, but I figured I would share. I purchased the 62" Dolica tripod, and although I loved it, it would be nice for it to play two roles, a normal height tripod, and a mini tripod. Since the tripod has about a 12" pole, it makes it hard to get low with it.

I solved this by removing the pole and building another insert. This requires no cutting, or any changes to the tripod. This will not hurt or damage anything to the tripod and is 100% reversible. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Required hardware
2x 3/8 x 1.5 rubber washers
2x 3/8 x 1.5 metal washers
1x 3/8 x 2.5 bolt
1x 3/8 nut

Remove the hook from the bottom of the pole (just unscrews)

remove the pole from the top and unscrew the ball head. Build the new mount (Bolt, washer, rubber washer, through tripod, then rubber washer, washer and nut.) I just hand tightened them, you dont want to crush the plastic.

Success. now just mount the ball head and camera.

Before... (remember this is alot higher, i forgot to attach the ball head for the pictures, so add a few inches for that)

After.

01-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks like a pretty good design!

You could also replace the top not with just a huge stack of fender washers, which might give the head a more substantial base. Also, to allow tool free installation, you could try a bit of all thread with a wing nut. All in all it looks solid already, so I might just be crazy!
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
That looks like a pretty good design!

You could also replace the top not with just a huge stack of fender washers, which might give the head a more substantial base. Also, to allow tool free installation, you could try a bit of all thread with a wing nut. All in all it looks solid already, so I might just be crazy!
Actually, I thought about both of those points when i was putting this together. I purchased some extra washers just for that, but i like the idea of being able to remove the ball head without the screw and washers coming apart. I do like the wing nut idea. I was thinking of doing like a thumb screw, but couldnt find a 3/8 2.5" screw that was a thumb screw. Possibly all threads with a wing nut would be perfect.
01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice job!
Been wanting to do something like this for a long time but haven't really figured out a good or ingenious way.
Great job on this!