Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #1

Gary Fong Puffer?

Hi all, so I have a little thread below and this is a specific follow-up to that. The shots I am needing flash for are "hold-up" shots of anglers with their catch on the water, the types of shots that fly fishing publications like to buy for covers. I have been told a good fill flash in combination with a circ-pol filter is key. I will be shooting with a pretty wide angle and so be pretty close to the angler....

Do I need an external flash or can I get away with the built in flash? For fill flash how about just the built in flash along with the Gary Fong Puffer? Does the knock-off on amazon for half the price that included some funky colored screens that I'd have no use for do just as good a job?

for me staying compact is the most important part, so I am hoping an external isn't necessary. My guess is the built-in flash even with a polarizing filter would be a bit harsh though for example reflecting off the fish's scales...making a diffuser like a puffer handy?

Thoughts would be great from those more experienced, thanks! -LE

01-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You are right that the on-board flash will produce harsh light. The puffer will make a difference as big as its size, in other words a very, very small difference. If I were you, I'd get an off-camera flash and reflect it off an A4 (or bigger) piece of paper.