Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cokin filter System

I'm hoping to get some help understanding which setup I'll be needing in order to use the Cokin system. I'm aware that there are different sizes and that there are adapters so that you can use the same system for several lenses.

My current lenses are as in my sig, and I plan to add others, but as yet undecided which ones. So thread sizes are 49, 52, 62. I thought that the A system would be right but the descriptions here say 35mm focal length onwards (35mm format) and to be honest, those descriptions have confused me.

I want to play with Neutral density filters (and maybe others, dunno yet)

Can someone please help me to understand which system I ought to be getting?

Thanks in advance.

01-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would look instead at the Cokin P it allows for much larger filter sizes and will also give filtering at the wider end as well (i've had a P system for a long time now)
I have one lens that is an issue (my Sigma 24-70) which is an 82mm filter size. there is a ring for mounting but it vignettes at the wide end due to the sheer size of the lens
my 77 mm da 14 doesn't allow the use of a cokin hood, but i really just use the cokin now for the polariser or ND unless i'm shooting film then it's fine for all the lenses i shoot on film

There are alternate systems that also use the same concept but are frequently better filters such as the Lee system. they are quite a bit more expensive though
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Eddie. I just went back to that site and see that the P system would be more appropriate, as you say, and it can grow, I guess, as I get more lenses. I had considered just getting "ordinary" ND filters and screwing them in as required, but at this point I am not even sure which lenses I would be wanting to use them with. Probably the 15mm and the kit, but that would mean 2 sets of each... hence considering Cokin. I have a CPL already, and UV, of 52mm, and UV of 62mm. Don't use the UVs much any more, haven't really seen that they make much of a difference. I guess the biggest advantage of Cokin is that you can buy the adapters as you need them.
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

really on Digital UV makes pretty much no difference of any consequence. The other advantage with a cokin type system is with grads. you can get colour grads for shooting b/w if you still shoot film (I have blue orange and red ones) and of course ND grads which can save a PP step
on a 49 mm thread the p looks pretty enormous.
I mostly use it in conjunction with my Bronica now, but occasionally put it to use on the digital as well.
I considered a change to another square filter (the cokins can scratch more easily being resin) but decided it was cheaper to replace them occasionally if they got scratches that were causing issues (my warming filter had to be replaced back in film days as it was pretty much glued to the lenses)
be careful with them and it won't be an issue
there are some Chinese knockoffs i haven't tried them but they are very cheap.If I was buying another holder or lens cap or anything non optic for the system i'd probably try them out

01-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was given a bunch of these in return for some digital work I did for someone a while back and I like them. I still use a round polarizer sometimes but overall I find this system is awfully convenient for having multiple cameras and I haven't noticed any real effect to the negative on my images from using them though I was told there might be. I have the A system and that works fine for all but my largest lens, but if you have a lot of larger lenses I'd definitely go with the P system. You can get different rings to fit different lenses but the A system is a bit tight for use on some bigger lenses I think.

I'm not as fond of the spots but the gradients I like quite a bit. It's the main reason I like the system and you can use them with color too, not with just black and white. I use the blue gradients and the sunset gradients in particular quite a bit when doing landscape shots. I also like the star filters for night shots and light effects. The polarizer is okay but I do think my Hoya and Tiffen filters are actually quite a bit better than the one Cokin puts out.
01-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i will agree the Cokin Polarizer isn't the best, but for me it covers over 20 lenses and that is a huge benefit. even with realistic step ring combos I'd need at least 4 polarizers at a cost of well over $100 each if I really wanted to better it. I'd rather buy another lens (because I need another lens I really do)

I have used the sunset grad in the past on film, and i have used the blue on landscapes with velvia sometimes stacked with the nd8

It really is for the money I had to spend the best system. I have a few nice b+w filters for my m lenses that i got for nothing at a junk shop ($20 for 4 - Red/Orange/yellow/Blue that sell for 2-4 x that each)
and my Infrared is a 62 mm B+W but i only shoot infrared on the bronica and all 4 lenses are 62 mm
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Big Cokin fan here, and not just for the filters, but the hood modules too.

You buy 3 or 4, and clip them on as needed for your focal length.

Added beneft--they provide the best lens protection out there.

I'm using a clone CP, and it's round, and rotates within the holder. Real easy to adjust.

And keep your eye out on eBay for a used UNIVERSAL holder. They're a little pricey new, but they attach to any lens on the barrel's exterior by 3 simple turn-screws, so if you don't have a particular ring, it will work on anything.

And yeah--P series is the size you want.
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use the Cokin P Series, and like Ira I find the modular hood a worthwhile accessory. It's also made of flexible plastic so it doesn't break easily.

I use HITECH / FORMATT graduated ND filters though, apparently the Coking one's give a colour cast, and these don't.

They are dearer than Cokin, but cheaper than Lee. And they seem very good for non pro work. I handle them carefully which a pro might not be so inclined to do ( time is money ! ) and they haven't scratched in 6 months use.

Camera Filters: Buy high quality camera filters from Formatt here

01-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I use the Cokin P Series, and like Ira I find the modular hood a worthwhile accessory. It's also made of flexible plastic so it doesn't break easily.

I use HITECH / FORMATT graduated ND filters though, apparently the Coking one's give a colour cast, and these don't.

They are dearer than Cokin, but cheaper than Lee. And they seem very good for non pro work. I handle them carefully which a pro might not be so inclined to do ( time is money ! ) and they haven't scratched in 6 months use.

Camera Filters: Buy high quality camera filters from Formatt here

REalistically it took a lot more than 6 months to kill my warming filter, byt any resin filter will eventually scratch unfortunately. now if the scratch causes a problem is another story minor cleaning scratches when you are focused at infinity at f8 won't show up, big ones will
really given how jmuch the system has saved me on multiple filters over the years if i have to replace one occasionally it's no biggy.
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

another Hitech shop at this link with quite reasonable pricing
Hitech P 85 series available at 2filter.com
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and if you want to get really serious about your grads the Singh Ray Galen Rowel are available in numerous variants for Cokin P ( 1-4 grade in both soft and hard step)
Singh-Ray Filters: Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Has anyone here used any of the split closeup filters, where half is close up and the other half allows you to focus properly for an infinity background?

Seems interesting to me.
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I see you are all much more into filtering than I will ever be: I'll never be a pro, I just want to be able to achieve some of the effects I see which come from ND filters, both grad and non grad, on land and seascapes.

I seriously doubt that I would ever get into some of the special effects filters at all... but they all sound interesting.

Putting the purchase on hold for the moment.
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Kyte, that's the thing:

None of us are saying that you should get into Cokin because you're going to get into heavy filter use. And 99% of us commenting here aren't pros.

We're just recommending it because it's the most cost-effective and practical method to have just one polarizer and hood(s) for all the lenses you now own, and for those you may buy in the future.

All of those other filter possibilities are just added features to working with Cokin.
01-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

never used the split focus Ira, I've looked at them a few times (just today in fact when I was in the big camera store on the way home) Would love to see some results from them (bet Rio Rico has some)