Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
If my vote counts, please do.
Are there any particular features/spots/positions/... you would like to see? The center column joint could be one thing, as well as the area of the center column/leg joint, leg section latches, head/quick release plate? I happen have the pan head version - that was on display when I went shopping and looked decent enough - I realized later that there is version with a small ball head as well, might have been better for still shots.

01-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It says in the description that the center column unscrews? Is that correct? I'd like to see how it does that and if it's going to be a problem when I'm out in the field.

The one in the link at Amazon, shows a ball head. I have a pan head on my present tripod that I bought after I got the tripod. So, I don't need that really.
01-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Are there any particular features/spots/positions/... you would like to see? The center column joint could be one thing, as well as the area of the center column/leg joint, leg section latches, head/quick release plate? I happen have the pan head version - that was on display when I went shopping and looked decent enough - I realized later that there is version with a small ball head as well, might have been better for still shots.
Since I have a tripod that functions similarly, my main question has been the Slik's sturdiness, how it looks fully extended with camera and lens on it.
01-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
It says in the description that the center column unscrews? Is that correct? I'd like to see how it does that and if it's going to be a problem when I'm out in the field.

The one in the link at Amazon, shows a ball head. I have a pan head on my present tripod that I bought after I got the tripod. So, I don't need that really.
I'm pretty sure the idea with the column is that it simply comes in two sections that screw together to make one longer one. Like a pool cue.

I expect that with one of those, I'd leave the extra section off almost always, anyway, and put a hook on there to add weight or whatnot, and also let it get low if I should change to want that.

(I've considered taking a hacksaw to my big tripod's center column for much the same purpose, anyway, seems like a good feature. )

01-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'd leave the extra section off almost always
Actually, that is what I did with my bogen WN; although, at one time, I had to hunt for it and couldn't remember where I stowed it.
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Are there any particular features/spots/positions/... you would like to see?
Oh, actually, I think you could just tell, rather than show, but what's under the QR plate of the head, there: could it be swapped for an Arca-compatible clamp, if you wanted to use the head?
01-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Enclosed some snaps of the Slik Sprint Pro (3 way) II

#1 : the center column in two pieces (8 cm + 28 cm = 36 cm / ~ 3" + 11" = 14")
#2 : the center column junction
#3 : tripod fully extended (165 cm / 65")
#4 : lowest position (17 cm / 7")
#5 : center column reversed [edit: note attempt to emulate authentic shooting conditions ]

[edit: the fully extended tripod is not an epitome of bedrock solid, vibration free stability, wouldn't be much good with some wind etc.]

Last edited by jolepp; 03-03-2017 at 02:40 AM.
01-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the idea with the column is that it simply comes in two sections that screw together to make one longer one. Like a pool cue.
Yep. It is like that: 3" + 11" sections where the latter could be left home if extending it was not an issue.
01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks jolepp, this lowest position is exactly what I was looking for to shoot bugs easier. This will allow me to keep the camera more steady than trying to steady it with my elbows on the ground.
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

In that position this should work pretty well with the 2s delay (or a remote to let at least the vibrations from handling the camera to settle down). It is worth noting that the low position can be had with the short section of the center column only, the next step is the middle leg angle position, where the whole center column would still not fit fully retracted. Reversing the center column might be worth a try as well [edit: in practice this requires the use of live view to frame the shot, though].
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Enclosed some snaps of the Slik Sprint Pro (3 way) II
[edit: the fully extended tripod is not an epitome of bedrock solid, vibration free stability, wouldn't be much good with some wind etc.]
It look like a nice tripod, though as you point out, not so sturdy fully extended. For a lightweight tripod I haven't seen anything better at that price. Thank you for the photos.
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Oh, actually, I think you could just tell, rather than show, but what's under the QR plate of the head, there: could it be swapped for an Arca-compatible clamp, if you wanted to use the head?
The pan head mine come with looks like the clamp base is also a part of the rest of the head; the only way I can see would be fixing the new clamp to the existing QR plate, which would probably be easy enough, but somewhat of a kludge . [edit: using the head with another tripod would not work because it has 1/4" thread (might be worth noting?)]

Last edited by jolepp; 01-29-2011 at 03:06 PM.
01-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
... I have a pan head on my present tripod that I bought after I got the tripod. So, I don't need that really.
One thing worth noting is that the tripod (center column) has 1/4" thread (instead of the usual 3/8" one). 1/4" - 3/8" adapters are cheap, though.
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fully extended would mean I'd need a step ladder to see the viewfinder on the camera. I probably will never extend it fully because of my 5' 2" height.
01-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Which adapter would I need to get? I checked with B&H and they list many types. A picture would be nice or a link. TIA.