Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another tripod question

mostly a request. I used to have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN tripod. Is there an equivalent one about now? This tripod had a removable center column so I could go real low to the ground. I found some on Amazon, but these things are quite expensive and I was looking for one that would meet my specifications but cheaper in price, not features. I don't do ebay, so don't suggest to look there.

01-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
No one knows?
01-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No ebaY or other used is too limiting, I think -- you have seen the price of what is available and declared it too much.

I like my Benbo Trekkers, have 2! Takes some getting used to but then those legs are easy to flop in the most crazy support positions imaginable.
01-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't say other used was not an option, I just don't do ebay.

Benbo, I've heard of those, but don't know anything about them. Are they just called Trekkers? Are they heavy and are they sturdy?

01-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Benbo Camera Tripods from Paterson Photographic

Not carbon fiber light but very strong and sturdy for the weight.
01-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the link.

That Bogen I had, was heavy. With camera attached, head and legs weighed 11 lbs. Carrying it at times up and over and around rocks, it got pretty heavy and I was a lot younger then.
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey. I think you'll find there's plenty of tripod options. Those Benboes have been around for a while and come in lots of sizes. They have these upside-down legs which are pretty cool, (helps keep water and grit out, and puts the locks higher up,) and a column that tilts out to make an arm, which also seems very useful, (though it's not something I'm particularly worried about: on balance I tend to be more of a mindset of keeping it as simple and solid as will be easy to carry, but if I did a lot of bugs&flowers and stuff I'd probably be very interested in those. )

Not to be confused with 'Benro' who make some pretty decent things, particularly for a budget. I think those tend to have reversible columns, and I like their 'Travel Angel' series pretty well, by the looks of things.

01-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
mostly a request. I used to have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN tripod. Is there an equivalent one about now? This tripod had a removable center column so I could go real low to the ground. I found some on Amazon, but these things are quite expensive and I was looking for one that would meet my specifications but cheaper in price, not features. I don't do ebay, so don't suggest to look there.
I've had this tripod on my "wish list" at Amazon for sometime (to buy when I finally stop buying lenses), to use as an alternative to my big tripod for travel. It's compact, lightweight, legs collapse close to the ground, stands 64 inches, and the center column is reversible for macro (and it comes with a ball head too) . . . all for about $90.

The product description:

"Designed to travel, the SPRINT PRO II is a compact tripod with 4 legs sections to collapse down to less than 19 inches and weighs just under 2 lbs. An updated version of the popular SLIK SPRINT PRO series the new SPRINT PRO II has padded leg wraps for more comfortable carrying. The new tripod also has a new SLIK SBH-100DQ all-metal compact ball head with quick release system for faster, easier mounting of a camera. The SPRINT PRO II is a full sized tripod when it is extended to its maximum height of almost 64 inches. The adjustable legs angles can be used to splay the legs out and lower the tripod. When used with the built-in short center column, (the included center column unscrews into two pieces) the camera is just 6.4 inches off the ground for extremely low angle or macro photography out in the field. Another way to get the camera low is to reverse the center column which could be used for macro photography or copy work."

Of course, I don't know what your budget is, but here's a lot of tripod for the money, the Vanguard 284ct is all you mentioned plus carbon fiber, relatively compact and lightweight for a serious tripod (I have it and like it lots):

Last edited by les3547; 01-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.
01-28-2011, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

If you carry the tripod around a lot then you might consider a Slik sprint pro II. These are light, compact and well made, yet the price is reasonable. The center column is made of two parts attached with a thread, the bottom part can be removed which allows use very low (with this the column can also be mounted upside down which might be useful for bugs, flowers and such as well). This is of course not as steady as a heavily built one, but then it is a pleasure to carry about compared to my Manfrotto 055 imitation.
01-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ratmagiclady, thanks for the info on Benbo's. I am still not certain about these things, mainly cause they look more like studio equipment with that arm stuck out there. And from the photos I saw on the site rhodopsin linked to, the legs seem awful slim, spindly. Also, they don't collapse far enough for me. One is 33 inches long even folded down.

Les, I considered a slik when I was checking out the bogen I bought. They seem sturdy enough looking at the photo in your amazon link. Reading the discription, it says it collapses to 19" and that is what I need also, something that is light weight, and collapses to less than the one I have now. I'm going to put this one on my wish list too.

jolepp, Thanks for another vote on the slik.

One more question also. Which do you all think is better for leg lockers, screw type or flip? My Bogen 3221WN had flip lockers and really liked those. The bogen I have now, bought from a member, has screw type and they don't tighten enough because one leg tends to slide up after locking them and setting tripod in place.
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
One more question also. Which do you all think is better for leg lockers, screw type or flip? My Bogen 3221WN had flip lockers and really liked those. The bogen I have now, bought from a member, has screw type and they don't tighten enough because one leg tends to slide up after locking them and setting tripod in place.
I have both types and I still can't decide. I like that the flip locks seem to fasten more securely because you see and feel them go into place. But the screw type are more compact and less likely to catch on things. My main tripod is screw type, my carry around (as is the Slik that will eventually replace it) are flip locks. I think I like it that way because the main tripod is carried through undergrowth and situations that it could catch on if it weren't the screw type; while the flip locks are nice on the smaller tripod.
01-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's strange because this one I have with the screws seems to stick out a bit and they hang on weeds, when I try to move it. It's been 5 years since I had my bogen but I don't remember that problem with it and I did a lot of shooting in the woods then. Thanks Les. I'm still going to go with slik, for the price, and sturdiness of it. My bogen 3221WN cost me $289, and I sold it in 2004 for $200. It was in excellent shape as I was and still am very careful with my equipment.
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, PL. I have a preference for the Gitzo-like twist-type: they work from any angle and there's less to get snagged on things or be uncomfortable to carry (or catch my hair. One less thing that might do that is always good. ) But, for all that it's not really that strong a preference.

With the Benboes, the legs are skinny because there's generally only two sections, but that also means they should be plenty strong, at least. Kind of a different design than usual. It has advantages and disadvantages: I like the fact that at least you don't have to bend over, and they're quick to set up, but they also are usually kind of long to carry, I'd think. I've only actually seen the rather bigger ones in person, so I'm not sure how the more portable designs work out. The main thing I don't care for is that the arm bit isn't directly on-center, which might be OK if you really want the low angle stuff, but isn't the stablest possible for the kind of stuff I do.

I might think it's worthwhile if I could check em out in person for size and stuff: my rationale is that what usually happens when I'm using a tripod is that I'll generally extend the legs once and then just prop it on my shoulder as I move around (Just in case you were wondering how to get leg clamps in your hair. ) Anyway, they're kind of a different arrangement, so directly comparing the look of them to other designs might not really apply. Anyway, for what that's worth at this point. They're kind of weird, but it's a pretty functional weird. )

Anyway, my big tripod has flippy-locks, they're not so bad, though it's kind of possible to end up trying to push them the wrong way, which I find a minor annoyance. I think a lot depends on the particular design with those, whether I like them or not. I think Sliks are usually OK that way, and people seem to like that one.

01-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I can post pictures of details and such of the sprint pro II if that helps.
01-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I can post pictures of details and such of the sprint pro II if that helps.
If my vote counts, please do.