Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Backpack w/ sling-style access + laptop: am I missing any?

Hi all,

I have several bags for various purposes, but have found it's time to replace my old Lowepro Fastpack 200 (with which I've been reasonably happy) with a similar sized bag that also accommodates a 12" laptop. The Fastpack 250 is the obvious replacement, but there are a couple things about it I don't like and I want to ensure I consider all my options.

Am I missing any bags that satisfy the 5 required features below (highlighted in blue)?

Obviously, no bag is perfect, I'll have to compromise, and I'll examine as many bags as possible in person at local shops. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any quality options before I start evaluating in person.

Edit to add: Yes, I've reviewed the stickied bags thread as well as cambags.com.

01-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
awesome chart.

this is what i plan on getting. wish it had more small pockets and the divider between the top compartment and lower comparment could be removed but nothing is perfect.

Last edited by boosted03gti; 01-29-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: bad spelling
01-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I recently went though your research with equal diligence and settled upon a Tenba Medium Shootout. With two DSLR systems, prime lenses, etc., it is heavy, but with the padded belly strap (which you didn't mention), the weight is distibuted on the hips, making hiking with 30-40 pounds of equipment surprisingly managable.
The only think it doesn't have that you mention is a sling-style access, but this is a feature of smaller bags with less capacity, strength, padding and room for growth.
I narrowed my choices down to this pack and a comparable LowPro. The Tenbar was considerably less expensive.
01-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
REM
Forum Member

I use the Tamrac Aero Speed 75, which is like the Aero Speed 85 you have in your chart, only without the laptop compartment and may 1 to 2 inches in dimension smaller in some areas. I really enjoy it. I took it on a trip to Canada where I hiked, walked, rode horses and it held up well. The back is a bit stiff, and not as breathable as I thought, but not too bad or uncomfortable. It holds my camera and several of my lenses, with enough space to fit a flash, more accessories or an optional rain cover. I LOVE the weather-sealed side access door. Easy to swing to the side and grab the camera or store it when done. I'm sure the 85 or the evolution bags would also be good.

01-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The Dakine sequence maybe? Although it doesn't have a dedicated slot for a laptop, one could be placed either in the large front side pocket, or between the camera insert (the interior camera section is actually a full, removable pack of its' own) and the backpack.
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Althought the Fastpack 250 doesn't have a dedicated tripod holder, I've been able to put a small one under the flap on my Fastpack 350. Also, the top handle on my Fastpack is a little small for carrying very far but it is strong a works well for lifting out of the car, etc.

Tim